Tours - Munich to Paris the Long Way Round - CycleBlaze

September 15, 2019

Tours

Wandering around Niort

The old Hotel de Ville in Niort it is called Le Pilori
Heart 0 Comment 0
Le Donjon 12th century a remains of a chateau
Heart 0 Comment 0
Part of the old waterway
Heart 0 Comment 0
There was an amazing selection of seafood at the market
Heart 1 Comment 0
Another view of Le Donjon
Heart 0 Comment 0
More seafood
Heart 0 Comment 0
Balanced by vegetables
Heart 0 Comment 0
A line up of electric scooters used for Pizza delivery
Heart 0 Comment 0

Last evening we walked into the centre for dinner.  There is a big grassy central square surrounded by streets and these were all  wall to wall restaurants  and by 7.30 most of them were packed. Everything was happening , there were bands playing and people everywhere.  We choose a table with a good view  and then two well dressed women sat down in the one next to us.  One started vaping  and the other smoking  and it seemed almost constant - there was no need to for us to do either.  I am always amazed at just how much smoking  there is in Europe as now in New Zealand smoking is becoming rare in fact to the point that I can’t think of anyone I know who still smokes.  Every time I come to France I have to have Andoulette and that was what I had, Ken had another massive salad and we sat eating and enjoying what was a very festive atmosphere.  Niort certainly seems a city with lots going on.

At the moment there seems to be some sort of festival in Niort with lots going on and demonstrations of everything imaginable.  Here are some pictures of the activities 

A busy Saturday afternoon
Heart 0 Comment 0
How about some ballroom dancing
Heart 0 Comment 0
There was a display of vintage cars - a beautiful Deux Chevaux
Heart 0 Comment 0
A 1922 Citroen similar to one a friend of my parents had in NZ
Heart 0 Comment 0
learn CPR
Heart 1 Comment 0
Or perhaps Judo
Heart 0 Comment 0
May be you want to become a Medieval Knight
Heart 1 Comment 0
Ken’s favourite an Alfa Romeo Gulietta 1300
Heart 0 Comment 0

It really was rather a strange day as our train didn’t leave until 6pm, we rode around the town a bit which looked so different on a Sunday than it had on Saturday.  We were still at the station 3 hours early so now have in depth knowledge of the railway system in Niort.  What suprised me was the a TGV goes through Niort on the way to Paris every hour picking up heaps of passengers.  When our train arrived there seemed to be as many people wanting to go to Poitiers.  Never have  I been on such a crowded train - apparently people returning home from a weekend at the coast.  The bikes had to hang up on meat hooks and it was a matter of standing clutching a pole for the whole journey   A change at Poitier with an hour wait and then our luck changed.  The next train left from the same platform and when it arrived we just wheeled on our bikes to a lightly laden train and had a comfortable trip to Tours.  Our hotel is very near the station so we were there before 10.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0