Salon de Provence - Munich to Paris the Long Way Round - CycleBlaze

August 26, 2019

Salon de Provence

Out of the mountains

It was certainly a different ride from yesterday.   Aix was easy to leave and we climbed to Eguiles which is a nice looking suburb of Aix - we were glad that the commuters were all going the other way. A coffee  and then it was just a slightly down hill ride all the way to Salon de Provence.

The road we were on was the D17, that sounds tiny and it was.  However residents of Salon have discovered it as a short cut between their city and Aix.  Never have I seen so much traffic on such a tiny road.  Fortunately virtually all the traffic was going in the opposite direction so once we got over the shock of it, it was fine.  The countryside was very different, we couldnt see any magnificent rock formations as we did yesterday and looking ahead there wasn’t a mountain in sight.  There were lots of vineyards and tasting the grapes they seem over 20Brix but looking at the pips they were still slightly greenish so  picking must still a couple of weeks away.  Between  the vineyards  the land was very scrubby and dry looking.  What we did see however was the most magnificent field of sunflowers bending their heads towards us.  What an amazing sight they would have been before they lost their petals.

A big barrel advertising a vineyard. Is that little hole for a skinny man to get in and clean it?
Heart 1 Comment 0
Almost ripe
Heart 5 Comment 0
There were large numbers of wheat fields long since harvested
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Canal de Marseille
Heart 0 Comment 0
The best crop of sunflowers we have ever seen
Heart 2 Comment 0

Pelissanne is a charming village just before Salon .  We stopped to enjoy it and saw the most extraordinary sight, roads had been closed off there were tables being set with places for 100s, there were lots of mobile fans - goodness knows what was going on but it was sure going to be a huge feast

Pelissanne with its beautiful plane trees
Heart 2 Comment 0
A garden in Pelissanne
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Preparing for the feast
Heart 2 Comment 0
Looking in the other direction
Heart 1 Comment 0

Our hotel was a little before Salon so we went passed it and went on to explore the centre.  It really was a bit disappointing as we really failed to find any old centre so it was back to the hotel where we sat in the garden until it was time to check in.

Our hotel - don’t know what the sheep is about!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Waiting to check in
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 38 km (24 miles)
Total: 1,459 km (906 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 0