To Cleveland - The Road to Rome, Part One: America - CycleBlaze

July 3, 2021

To Cleveland

So how did this happen?  Somehow we’ve gotten a day behind on the journal and we can’t quite get caught up.  Let’s do it today, by making short work of the ride to Cleveland.  Nothing exceptional to report about the ride itself - fine weather again, flat again, but maybe a less interesting one than some so we’ll let the pictures do the talking and call it good.  See you tomorrow.

Still on the North Coast Cycle Trail, for the first few miles out of Oberlin. I don’t know what these old stone markers are or what the letters and numbers signify. We’ve seen them off and on for the last 75 miles.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Along the NCBT.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Crossing the Black River.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Image not found :(
My favorite shot of the day. I didn’t see the baby in the basement until after unloading the camera.
Heart 3 Comment 0
After leaving the NCBT we followed minor farm and rural roads northeast to the outskirts of Cleveland.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another epic barn versus ivy battlefield. Too soon to tell who’s going to win out here.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Image not found :(
An uncharacteristic but appreciated short stretch of bike path.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Crossing through the western neighborhoods of Cleveland. I was uncertain how it would biking across the city and was pleasantly surprised that it wasn’t more difficult.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Crossing the Cuyahoga River and entering downtown.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Cleveland’s landmark skyscraper, the Terminal Tower. At the time it was built it was the second tallest structure in the world, and until 1964 the second tallest in the country after the Empire State a building.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Three of the four faces of the Soldiers’ and Sailors’ Monument, in Public Square.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Image not found :(
On Euclid Avenue.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Image not found :(
An unexpected delight to end the day - a delicious spada at Etna, a Sicilian restaurant in Cleveland’s Little Italy. It brought back a flood of memories. Before our meal we toasted to the idea of visiting Sicily again some year.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Image not found :(
The Museum of Contemporary Art Building.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Image not found :(
Worth a look from more than one angle.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Closed today, but we got in anyway.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Image not found :(
Judy’s Hand Sculpture, by Tony Tasset, on the grounds of the Museum of Contemporary Art.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Image not found :(
It’s a very large hand, weighing in at 7 tons and 21 feet high.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Image not found :(
On the Case Western Reserve campus, the Peter B. Lewis building has the unmistakable look of a Frank Geary creation.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Image not found :(
The Peter B. Lewis building is remarkable from any angle.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Image not found :(
One last look. I like this perspective for the fact that the brick face is also curved at the interface with the stainless steel and glass carapace.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Image not found :(
I neglected to find a name or description for this sculpture in front of the Peter B.Lewis building.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Posing with the hydrangeas.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Presbyterian Church of the Covenant, on Euclid.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Ride stats today: 48 miles, 700’; for the tour: 1,299 miles, 34,100’

Today's ride: 48 miles (77 km)
Total: 1,299 miles (2,091 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 0