La Joya to Almeria - Trains, World Cup and Ashes - CycleBlaze

May 9, 2019

La Joya to Almeria

train to Guadix

Quiet spot in an abandoned building out of the wind
Heart 0 Comment 0
Not sure what building was for
Heart 0 Comment 0

Awoke today with much less wind, landscape changed as numerous greenhouses appeared, looking on google maps I had wondered what the white shapes were. The whole area reminded me of Renmark/Mildura area, in both climate and produced, as the local market had delicious apricots. Was busy for one part before it quietens down and then followed coastline past the Almeria airport where I saw a few people out cycling. After crossing a few creeks, a cycle path begins and takes me all the way into Almeria.  

very dry area with greenhouses
Heart 0 Comment 0
cycling past numerous greenhouses
Heart 0 Comment 0
Eucalyptus trees reminds me of Australia
Heart 0 Comment 0
cycle path into Almeria
Heart 0 Comment 0
Almeria beach front
Heart 0 Comment 0

What stood out when arriving into Almeria was a rail viaduct that went from railway station to sea as a freight line for loading boats. It’s not in use anymore and would make a scenic rail trail. At the railway station and was able to confirm that trains do normally run between Almeria and Granada and allow bicycles but trains are not currently running into Almeria, I presume closed for track work as trains are leaving at a suburban station 8kms north but staff couldn’t sell me a ticket because the computer wouldn’t let them. So I planned on cycling north and hoping I could buy a ticket there. 

Most places have been able to find local information brochures in English
Heart 0 Comment 0

In the mean time went for an explore of Almeria which has numerous bike lanes including one the heads north from the sea in the middle of the wide main street. It took a while to find the tourist information centre as signs took me around in a u-turn. It is located inside square but they take a siesta so was closed when I arrived but thankfully a police office went inside and brought out a tourist maps with English information for me and a couple. Most large towns so far have had similar maps with English information found in information centres.  

Unused railway viaduct in Almeria
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cycle path in middle of main street in Almeria
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

The main point of interest in Almeria is the Alcazaba, a Moorish castle built on a hill. I went expecting to pay to enter but it was free to visit no idea if that is everyday. Inside is plenty of places to explore the Moorish era water works, historical information and views of the surrounding landscape. Largest castle visited so far on this trip and I recommended a visit as it was also quiet and not full of tourists.

Alcazar
Heart 0 Comment 0
water route in Alcazar
Heart 0 Comment 0
Couldn't walk out here, had to go around
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
How people use to live
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bicycle was safe outside
Heart 0 Comment 0
Church in Almeria
Heart 0 Comment 0

Wasn’t sure if I should stay the night in Almeria but after searching around didn’t find anything else special to look at so cycled north on a cycle path climbing a bit to the hospital before descending to Huercal de Almeria. Staff at the railway station were helpful and was able to get on train comfortably. Train was empty only a handful of people on board and it climbs up the mountains through numerous tunnels with scenic views. Didn't take any photos just soaked it in. Decided to stop halfway to Granada in the town of Guadix before catching train tomorrow to Granada.

Guadix was okay, had a small historical area but old castle had no access but did look like there are some outdoor activities in the surrounding areas. Did find a drinking water fountain around the children's playground near the main roundabout.  

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 79 km (49 miles)
Total: 1,359 km (844 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0