Finally cycling again - Trains, World Cup and Ashes - CycleBlaze

April 26, 2019

Finally cycling again

Train to Córdoba then to near Guadalcazar

Left Airbnb by 8am so I could get to the Alcazar before it opened and hopefully a small line but even at 8:30am, an hour before it opens, the line was around the corner. Thankfully in the line was two Australian couples so was able to chat while we wait for an hour and a half. Turns out that one couple knew Laurence Young, who I went to school with in Birchip. Bicycle was fine just locked up to a tree nearby, while I went inside. Inside was an interesting royal palace and gardens, well worth the visit even if it was touristy. 

Many bicycle paths in Seville
Heart 0 Comment 0
1.40 hour wait to get in
Heart 0 Comment 0
Terry and Jan from Australia, knew a person I went to school with
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Had booked train to Córdoba earlier, so took rest of the morning riding around the city finding some old city walls but also getting lost in these windy roads.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Part of old city wall, cycle path follows it around
Heart 0 Comment 0

My original plan had been to cycle directly from Villanueva de la Serena to Córdoba before the weather changed to rain so I took the train via Merida and Seville. Therefore to get back on track caught train from Seville to Córdoba, a much busier railway line as there are numerous train options during the day, the train was full. Spain has the second longest amount of high speed trains behind China, with the original high speed line built between Madrid and Seville via Córdoba but since fully assembled bikes aren’t allowed on these trains, took the slightly slower train but still a fairly quick medium service.

I found Córdoba a mini Seville, in that it has a main religious area with a heavy tourist focus. I was feeling overwhelmed by tourism, not sure how people do this all the time while travelling. Still went for an explore, finding a museum focusing on how people were tortured during the Spanish Inquisition, which was when people were tortured if they were suspect not being a catholic especially in late 15th century. Around this time the Islamic part of Spain had just been conquered and the Jewish population was being forced out of Spain. Inside museum was examples of machines used to torture people, not the best to see but still something we should learn about.

Heart 0 Comment 0
La Inquisition museum
Heart 0 Comment 0
Couldn’t take photos inside, so one example of what was inside
Heart 0 Comment 0
Old city wall in Córdoba
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bridge I left Córdoba from
Heart 1 Comment 0

Somehow between paying for the museum and until next time I checked my wallet I managed to lose 50 euros, assume I dropped it as it was in my hand, couldn’t find it when looking. Therefore, took that as a sign it was time to leave Córdoba. After crossing river on an old bridge went through industrial part of Córdoba to meet the start of the rail trail where it splits from the still active line.

This rail trail follows a route that was built as a short cut between Córdoba and Cadiz avoiding Seville, unlike previous rail trail I have done so far this was a previous active line. The trail was a little over grown with a 2 wheel tracks, only saw a couple of cyclist and it was a scenic ride as it follows the contours through farm land, with gentle climbs and descends on railway grade, on either side of rail right of the way is mostly paddocks in crop, with no fences. 

manged to break my headphones after they fell out of a handlebar bag into a wheel
Heart 1 Comment 0
Only tunnel today
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Eventually made it to a former station site with park benches and water but no toilet,  so had a relaxing night here. There were also 2 RV parked nearby with English couples. 

In Seville I noticed my cycle computer was not working but as the sun dried it out, it started working again.

Today's ride: 40 km (25 miles)
Total: 283 km (176 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0