Below Teba to Zuheros - Trains, World Cup and Ashes - CycleBlaze

May 1, 2019

Below Teba to Zuheros

public holiday

Football ground was flooded and inside clubhouse had a floor of mud.
Heart 0 Comment 0

May 1 is a public holiday in Spain, so towns were very quiet with no supermarkets open, however this meant my morning on road ride to Punete Genil was quiet as a snaked my way north through small towns, crossing active railway lines a few times and went past recently closed stations. As well went through Olive farms on quiet roads, getting lost as there wasn't any road signs. Saw a few cyclists out on day rides, both mountain bikers and roadies.

quiet towns today on there labour day public holiday
Heart 0 Comment 0
so many Olive trees
Heart 1 Comment 0

When I arrived in Puente Genil, coming across three English touring cyclist who are riding from Malaga to northern Spain, credit card touring as they had less gear than me and are staying in motels each night. We chatted for a while before I set off making my way to the start of the rail trail which is 5kms out of town. Went past the former railway station as the current one is 10kms out of town located on the fast train route so local service have been discontinued, meaning some smaller towns in the region now have no train service, must have been recently as discontinued stations still look like a train could arrive anytime.

My next Vias Verde is called Del Aceite between the cities of Puente Genil and Jaen. The former railway line was known as the Olive train and for nearly the whole route olive trees dominates the landscape. The route follows contour lines well but still takes an up and down route but at a railway gradient with a more wider view of the landscape than previous trails. However when the weather became above 30 degrees the lack of shade, makes it feel extra  warm especially in the afternoon. Compared to Australia, trees are generally smaller so there is less shade in most places but in most towns have found water fountains so have been able to stay hydrated.

For the first 50kms the rail trail passed through a few towns with former railway stations converted to restaurants, all stations are located on the edge of towns, so I didn't venture into any town centres. The rail route curves its way around the landscape with a few bridges and cuttings but only one tunnel. With supermarkets expected to be closed I was running low on food so planned on eating at a station restaurant. However after an ice cream at the first station at Lucena at 4:30pm and noticing that the restaurant will be open until 1am, decided to continue on, however by the time I got to the Cabra at 6pm they had stopped cooking food and at Dona Mencia it was closed by 7pm but wuth bike shop still open but thankfully at the small town of Zuheros I was able to find a restaurant located at the top of a hill, once again a Spanish town built on a hill. 

path was good, through olive farms
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
bridges crossing main highways
Heart 0 Comment 0
most former railway stations were being reused by communities or as restaurants
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
few cuttings to help go around towns
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
descending to Zuheros
Heart 0 Comment 0
my favourite section of cycling today
Heart 0 Comment 0

The view from restaurant gives a wide view of the valley below seeing where the rail trail goes and was able to explore around the town the castle on the hill. Owner of the restaurant had lots of photos inside with him next to celebrities especially footballers but most photos looked fake.

Walking back down to former railway station site I meet a Will and Emily a father and daughter from Darwin in Australia cycling a small section of the rail trail as part of a travelling around Europe by camper van. Nice to chat some English today with people. Camped beside the rail trail.

View from top of Zuheros
Heart 1 Comment 0
can see the rail trail going around the edge of landscape
Heart 1 Comment 0
dinner at Zuheros restaurant
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 115 km (71 miles)
Total: 757 km (470 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0