Baeza to Arroyo Frio - Trains, World Cup and Ashes - CycleBlaze

May 4, 2019

Baeza to Arroyo Frio

climbing to national park

Today I knew would involve some climbing as I planned on crossing a 1200m pass into Parque Natural de la Sierra de Cazorla. Initially visiting Udeba which is thankfully connected with Baeza by a cycle path beside the freeway. This city was slightly larger than Baeza and more touristy with a old town area mostly focusing on religion. so had a quick look, old part of city does stick out on the edge of hill providing views of the valley below, while the archaeology museum is free to visit. 

Bike Path between Baeza and Ubeda
Heart 0 Comment 0
View from Ubeda, from here have to head down the valley and then climb up again
Heart 0 Comment 0
Church in Ubeda
Heart 0 Comment 0
Old gate in Ubeda
Heart 0 Comment 0

Before descend down to Guadalquivir river, had a small section of the freeway to the slightly smaller town of Torreperogil where I got lost finding my way out of town, eventually finding the correct route out of town, with a quick descend to the river with cafe beside the river to get some food for lunch and the toilets are under the building.  

From here the long climbing of about 800meters begins but with a couple of towns on the route was able to stage my climb up, stopping at each town to get some food and cool drinks on this warm day. The town of Cazorla appeared interesting but I couldn’t find any tourist information to confirm places of interest and was more fatigued from climbing so instead had a siesta. It was busy with people out eating and drinking at the various pubs and restaurants. As well they had some photo boards showing local history. 

Found him
Heart 1 Comment 0
Town on the edge of national park
Heart 1 Comment 0

On my way climbing to the top saw 2 couples on touring bicycle cycling in the opposite direction. It was relatively easy climb initially as the road follows the contours on a gentle gradient with decent views of the valley below. However for the final 5kms there is 4 switchbacks and the gradient becomes up to 7 percent but by stopping at each end of each switch back I was able to climb the 500meters in an hour to a lookout where I could see the valley I will be cycling in all day tomorrow. 

Resting at each turn of the zig zag
Heart 1 Comment 0
road zig zags up with plenty of views
Heart 1 Comment 0
one of the ends of the zig zag
Heart 1 Comment 0
can see how the road zig zags its way up
Heart 1 Comment 0
can just make out the roads helping me up
Heart 0 Comment 0

The descent was quicker and I was soon in the tourist town of Arroyo Frio, finding 2 supermarket and plenty of restaurants and cafes but no public toilets. There is a water fountain opposite the first supermarket and was able to cook there and at night sneak up and find a place to stealth camp, as there doesn’t appear to be a camp ground here but apparently further down the valley there is. 

At the top now
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mirador del Puerto de las Palomas
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
view from same lookout
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 87 km (54 miles)
Total: 981 km (609 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0