Villefranche to Lyon - Retyrement on 2 Wheels 6 - CycleBlaze

September 19, 2022

Villefranche to Lyon

End of La Voie Bleue

Villefranche to Lyon 

End of La Voie Bleue

42 kilometres 

Very cold night and consequently a late getaway. Tent fly is very wet with dew. We only have 30 plus kilometres so it’s not a concern. We sit in the sun and warm up with a cuppa and dry off anything damp. Eventually all is packed and we’re ready to go. We have a brief chat to an aesthetic looking Yorkshire chap who is apologetic about traveling in a diesel powered camper, saying he should be doing what we’re doing, but his wife…. He tells us about spending three days at Taizé. An interesting experience in meditation and community living.

Off we go back to the D933- the bridge to St Bernard is actually quite close to the campground, as is the motorway which has hummed all night. 
Trevoux is very pretty with some substantial properties with walled gardens. The warmth in the day grows and it’s a clear sunny sky.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

At lunchtime we find a small cafe near the water and order an omelette and coffee which we eat while watching the queen’s funeral on the big screen. The patrons are split between those taking an avid interest and some who glance up from time to time. The meal is a wonderful gap filler but so nicely presented too. When we leave, everyone in the bar wishes us Au revoir.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

We pretty soon pick up the cycle route then, and it makes the trip into the city a dream. So easy and pleasant with so much to see. There are mansions and chateaux along the river banks lined with beautiful greenery.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0


Soon we’re at the island in the river and then the bridge over the Saone . We cross this and then take the Centre cycle and walking tunnel, Croix Rousse, across to the Rhone. Once near Part Dieu we stop for a break under the massive tower. It’s beautiful and relaxing in the sun knowing we’ve reached the end of La Voie Bleue and soaking up the atmosphere of this beautiful city. Later we meet Olivier, our host, and after stowing our bikes are made welcome in his and his wife’s apartment. 
It has been an exceptional day’s cycling and after dinner, we are not long  for bed.

Today's ride: 42 km (26 miles)
Total: 1,331 km (827 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0