Macon to Villefranche sur Saone - Retyrement on 2 Wheels 6 - CycleBlaze

September 18, 2022

Macon to Villefranche sur Saone

D roads Day.

Macon to Villefranche sur Saone

D roads Day.

September 18 Sunday 

58kms


The Hotel Escatel rewarded our hard work with a fine breakfast, even going so far as to leave a ‘help yourself’ basket full of leftover pastries on the counter.

We stop at the tourist office in front of the cathedral in the city and one block back from the mighty Saone. Mass is on at the cathedral and at the doors there are a couple of chaps putting forward their own plate for a collection got themselves and dog. At the tourist office we are given suggestions for D roads. The D51 and D933 seem to be the best options.

So we set off. Roads allow for good speed and the moderate traffic is considerate.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Macon Cathedral.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Along the Saone at Macon.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The route by road is very straightforward but mostly away from the river. We decide to aim for a place beyond Villefranche where there’s camping called camping Beaujolais. It’s a little complicated getting there in the final few kilometres but we arrive in time for a swim in the covered pool. We chat to a couple of UK camper van owners. Apparently this is a popular stop for people heading south. 
Dinner is tuna and rice then we wrap up as it appears a cold night is on the way.

 

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 56 km (35 miles)
Total: 1,289 km (800 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0