Trier to Sierck Les Bains - Retyrement on 2 Wheels 6 - CycleBlaze

August 30, 2022

Trier to Sierck Les Bains

We enter La Belle France

Trier to Sierck Les Bains 58 kms. 

Down to breakfast- wonderful spread to which we do justice, then we’re in the garage,  bikes loaded and off. Another scorcher in the offing. 

Spacious quiet room, woodily furnished. What more could we want?
Heart 3 Comment 0

Out on the road we see a green cycle sign and without having to cross the bridge as anticipated, follow the trail out of town. The path is smooth and straight and averaging a good speed is easy. We keep passing an elderly woman and then find she’s ahead of us- she hoots with what could be bonhomie or scorn, hard to tell, but she knows the shortcuts.

Starting from Trier. Wide river with a few rowers out.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

To avoid the sun, about lunchtime we swap to the east side of the river which offers more shade. We find  a table in the shade and munch on our egg rolls and tomatoes. 
The track is equally as speedy as the other side and we have no trouble keeping up a regular turnover of kilometres. A highlight of the afternoon is the  sight of a black snake slithering along the cycle path. I’ve seen a few dead ones, but this is very much alive. It quickly heads off into the grass.

Snake in the grass.
Heart 0 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltNot enough detail in the photo to be positive, but it looks like an European viper (European adder).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vipera_berus
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Michael HutchingThanks for that Bill - I’m not particularly familiar with snakes but I’ll take your word for it.
Cheers , Michael
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

There’s still signs of holiday activity as we spot a line of elderly being wheelchaired on board a river cruiser for a day out.  About mid afternoon we see signs that we are approaching the Luxembourg border, but continue along the German side of the river. There’s work being done on the banks and a dredge clearing mud. Luxembourg looks relatively developed, with new housing and apartments facing the river.

Plenty of signage near border. But which way?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Retro style apartments.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Luxembourg.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Read carefully. There are several loop rides along the Saar River too.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Highly decorated home away from home.
Heart 1 Comment 0


Sierck Les Bains comes up and a certain je ne sais quoi tells us that we are definitely in France. For one thing the cycle signage is lacking somewhat and there’s not so much separate path. We stop for an ice cream in a near deserted town square and the barman kindly fills our bottles with iced water. The tourist office is enthusiastic and welcoming but not so great on hard detail- no matter, we find the local campground, and after hesitating over whether to go further spot the local Carrefour nearby and decide this will do.

Chateau of the lords of Lorraine from campground.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We’re given a hedged off section and set up. Next door is a South African chap and his wife in a camper. We have a long chat with him about his family spread all over the world, and he and wife now living in The Netherlands. He’s a retired medical practitioner. Well, a gynaecologist, to be precise.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Our SA friend heads off on his Brompton style bike for beer and once set up, we’re off to the Carrefour to find dinner.

Turns out dinner is ravioli - a standby of old. The French put great things in cans. To keep it healthy we have tomatoes and cucumber.

It’s a small, peaceful campground full of fogeys and after a page or three on our kindles, we’re off.

Today's ride: 58 km (36 miles)
Total: 428 km (266 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 0