In Frejus - Retyrement on 2 Wheels 6 - CycleBlaze

September 27, 2022 to September 28, 2022

In Frejus

Lazy time in the old city.

In Frejus

Lazy time in the old city.

27 September Tuesday 

It’s a windy Tuesday so we decide to investigate close to home. How wonderful to step outside the front door and find yourself  in a street of beautiful old apartments, some with neo classical features like pillars and fancy window frames and most with coloured shutters.

The Cathedral and cloisters are a short walk away. Perhaps the most fascinating aspect of the cathedral is that its cloister features rare 14th- and 15th-century painted wooden ceiling panels, depicting angels, devils, hunters, acrobats and monsters. They’re a little weird looking but very vividly depicted. Supposedly the  meaning and origin are unknown but some look to use creatures as a representative of human appetites and even to their being an exhortation against the perils of lust. This is probably a simplistic point of view but I’m sure it’s part of the mix. The original colouring was apparently very strong which must have made them extremely eye catching.

14th century Painted panels in a Scandinavian wood ceiling.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Cloister steps repurposed from the Roman arena tiers.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The street where we live.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The cloister.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
The cistern
Heart 2 Comment 0


We then walk out to view the remnants of the aqueduct. All that remains in the city now are a few  large columns - they still look magnificent towering above all else and must have been a dominant feature in the days when they carried water from springs in the hills. Out of the city more of the aqueduct remains and its building must have been a clever feat of engineering.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Further exploration is curtailed because the main park is closed due to ‘raisons meteorlogique’. I think tis is a reference to the hazards of high winds and trees.

28 September Wednesday .
There’s a market in town. Right outside our front door in fact. This requires us to climb out past rows of displayed underwear and clothing. We decide on a ride to the Jean Cocteau Chapelle  but it closed- yes, ‘raisons meteorlogique’.  

Monument to Indo China. Symbolism seems clear….
Heart 0 Comment 0


We decide on heading  to the beach for a swim. Getting around Frejus isn’t the easiest, though we discover more cycle lanes. For some reason - either the westerly wind or the sudden shelving depth of the beach, the water is like an ice bath. Ann gamely swims about but I’m waiting for the burn that doesn’t come and only manage a few plunges.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0


The wind is warm thank goodness. Back ‘home’ we prepare for our ride around the Corniche Esterel. It’s been a restful couple of days but we’re flying out of Nice in a couple of weeks.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0