Cavalaire sur Mer to Frejus. - Retyrement on 2 Wheels 6 - CycleBlaze

September 26, 2022

Cavalaire sur Mer to Frejus.

Pine whiffs, sea dips, ocean views.

Cavalaire sur Mer to Frejus. 

Pine whiffs, sea dips, ocean views.

47 kilometres

Left our apartment in Cavalaire earlyish and headed to the now familiar  waterfront. It’s been a pleasant enough place for a weekend though the apartment had no wifi and so many tatty knickknacks on the wall that an errant arm or elbow was continually in danger of sending some fake plant or plastic wall hanging crashing to the marble floor.

Do you know the way to San Tropez?
Heart 0 Comment 0
The cycleway out of Cavalaire is easily found.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

The day is already very warm and we’re grateful for some of the shady  stretches of the trail. The path climbs, with some sharing of the road, but there is little traffic. The climb is also very gentle and no stress. At the top, we head down to the junction of the San Tropez and Frejus routes. From here, the path is less defined, with sections on the road. There’s a yacht race being contested out on the water and there are many colourful sails. One yacht that really stands out is a vintage sloop with two masts and five sails.

Heart 1 Comment 0

At Veauvallon we stop for a dip and enjoy the clarity and warmth of the water.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Waving not frowning. Apologies to Stevie Smith.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Further on we find bread and some shade for lunch at St Maxine. 

Heart 0 Comment 0

The beaches around St Maxine are long and sandy and the sea is a deep, deep blue. 

Heart 1 Comment 0

The route from St Maxine on the D599 has to be shared with cars. It’s ok because you’re given space, but tiring because they’re closer and noisier than on a separate cycleway. There are a few signs for ‘toilettes publique’ which is encouraging; unfortunately they are all locked. Is that a ‘Lundi’ thing too?

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Reaching Frejus outskirts, we reward ourselves by sitting down in a parlour for an ice cream. We sort out the location of our stay, which, if it’s anything like the description, should be very pleasant. 

And so it proves to be, being two large rooms and an outdoor terrace, right in the heart of old Frejus. And the cathedral tower virtually next door. Our ship has finally come in. The owners are wonderful, about our age perhaps, and they take us through everything we need to know. Our bikes can be locked in the corridor outside our door. After a trip to a mini Casino we’re set.

View from our terrace.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 47 km (29 miles)
Total: 1,497 km (930 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 0