Madness in the Method: Getting in Shape for Biking By Not Biking - Moab Skinny Tire Festival, 2020 - CycleBlaze

March 5, 2020

Madness in the Method: Getting in Shape for Biking By Not Biking

In the upper midwest, Mother Nature is disinclined to concern herself with your early season bike training needs. She does what she does, and ignores whatever begging and groveling you might offer in hopes of getting "just a handful of days in the 50's with a little sunshine, I mean IS THAT ASKING FOR TOO MUCH FOR GOD'S SAKE?!?!?" She fixes you with her steely gaze and says ....

Yes. It is. Even with a big ride coming in 11 days. Thanks for asking though.

But in true upper midwest biker tradition, you find a way to "MacGyver" some early season biking fitness ... by not riding a bike. The ace up our sleeves is cross country skiing. Nordic, if you want to sound like you're truly part of that tribe. Margaret and I have been XC skiing ever since we met 35 years ago, and if we're lucky enough to have a snowy winter these days what with the effects of climate change (No. Don't even think about claiming there's no such thing. Go away. Take that shit out of here. There's FAR less skiable snow than there was 20 years ago) ... wait. Where was I before my tantrum? Oh yeah ... if we have reliable snow Marg and I ski as much as we can. Often that gets us pretty fit.

The culmination of the winter for us is at the end of February, when we take part in the largest XC ski race in North America, The American Birkiebeiner. First raced in 1973 by 35 hardy souls, this year there were 5,799 finishers in the Birkie, and another 2,825 in the "Kortelopet'" the "short" 18 mile race run the day before the Birkie on the same course. A total of 8,624 skiers. It is often referred to as the Boston Marathon of skiing and taking part is an inspiration. The freestyle (or skate technique) race is 50 kilometers or 31 miles long, while the Classic technique race is 54 kilometers, or 33 1/2 miles. It is a hilly course, with 2,400 feet of climbing in 50K. It is quite a chore for a Clydesdale like me.

This year I finished my 28th Birkie and Margaret her 23rd. Margaret, after her traditional pre-race routine of fretting about the temperature and doubting her fitness skied the 4th fastest race of her career, in 4:18. I did not distinguish myself, but neither did I bring shame on the family name, by skiing 4:43. It is an awesome event and with so much energy and camaraderie. Check it all out here: https://www.birkie.com

Margaret at the finish of the 2020 Birkie. Her 4th best time in 23 races. 31 miles in 4:18. Not bad for someone who turned 60 four days before the race!
Heart 3 Comment 0
Mike, with less glory to brag about, but still finishing his 28th Birkie! Finish time of 4:43.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0