Even better - "It keeps getting better" - CycleBlaze

July 6, 2022

Even better

Today's ride got to a great start with a walk around the beautiful, quiant Jardin town and then into the Church. I was able to grab some guavas ( guayabas in Colombia) and some Bocadillos ( guayaba paste and sugar)..

We hit the road at around 1120 and gained elevation right away and steady. After some 2-3 miles outside of Jardin, the pavement suddenly ended and we were offered with more rough "roads".

Frutas..
Heart 2 Comment 0
Jardin church
Heart 5 Comment 0
Inside the Jardin church
Heart 9 Comment 0
Colorful houses of Jardin
Heart 4 Comment 0

We went to some 9200+ starting from some 6000 ft. The climb was steady, beautiful and relentless. The views were just out of this world but the humidity was as well. I didn't realize I could sweat like a leaking pipe.

On the ridge overlooking Jardin
Heart 9 Comment 0
taken a lot of beating, mud but carried me to beautiful vistas..
Heart 4 Comment 0
the "road"
Heart 1 Comment 0
Shoes and bike are all painted in mud..
Heart 4 Comment 0

We rode through some trout farms before hitting a few Nature preserves for Orchids, Yellow eared parrots and more. It again felt like we were riding in a Jurassic park. Lots of wild orchids, wild anthuriums and truly fascinating variety of flora. We also passed quite a few waterfalls some truly tall. 

After some 10 or miles of climbing, the downhill started fast and a few times I had to pull over to give rest to my hands as palm paddings and fingers were getting tired as I was holding onto dear life. So occasional uphill was more than welcome.

We ran into a local out for a bike ride who showed us some avocado fincas, treated us to coffee/panela agua with cheese.

The ride into Riosusio was paved and again steep downhill.

Today's ride: 30 miles (48 km)
Total: 117 miles (188 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Saleh Al NasserBeautiful images Girish. Keep sharing your wonderful stories and stay safe.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago