Tour de Hibbing - Northeast Minnesota 2023 - CycleBlaze

September 18, 2023

Tour de Hibbing

Day 12: Rest day rambling in Hibbing

HIBBING MINNESOTA IS, or at least appears to be, the quintessential small American city.  It's tidy, with neatly-kept modest houses spaced generously distant from one another, but not so far apart as to discourage neighborliness.  The business area is compact and gives the impression of thriving.  Drivers wait for pedestrians (and cyclists) at intersections and crosswalks.  Children walk to and from neighborhood schools, and ride their bikes after school.

Over the years it has produced quite a number- disproportionate to its size, I think- of notable personages.  Among them are a two-term Minnesota Governor and several State legislators, the man who prosecuted Charles Manson, numerous professional hockey players, a few professional football players, at least two professional basketball players, a record-holding MLB player, several writers, a noted wine maker, and a Nobel laureate.  Not a bad score for a city whose population numbered somewhat over 16,000 in 2020.

It's a beautiful day and we're not scheduled to travel today, creating the perfect circumstances for a slow, lazy roll into and through town to see what there is to see.  I'm joined by the two Jims, and after a leisurely lunch we start our tour.

This cute little cottage stands on the outskirts of town.
Heart 0 Comment 0
They've adorned their house number marker with seasonal decorations.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Art deco style. One of a few buildings I spotted, in this style.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A trim, tidy Methodist church.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Equal time and appreciation for the Lutherans, across the street. We'll get to some of the other brands later.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It's always interesting to see what towns do with their no-longer-needed train stations. Hibbing's is now an antiques shop, which seems appropriate somehow.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A shadow of the past remains in the paintwork on the building.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Also, a touch of whimsical humor.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This beautiful place has clearly undergone a recent and extensive restoration. It's gorgeous.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Colorful trees in one of the City parks.
Heart 0 Comment 0

First up on the agenda, after we've ridden the length of the place, is the Greyhound history museum.  Hibbing is the point of origin of Greyhound Bus Lines.  

According to the information plaque, Greyhound began because Hibbing had to move.  The original town site was on top of what proved to be an immense deposit of iron ore- one of several in the vicinity- and when it became clear that the mines would undercut the town it was moved.  Miners needed transportation from the new town site to the mine, as well as elsewhere.  Someone had a Hupmobile bus they couldn't sell, and presto! Greyhound was born.

On the way to the museum.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Charmaine RuppoltWho knew there was a Greyhound Bus Museum?!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Keith AdamsTo Charmaine RuppoltYes, it was just one more thing that made Hibbing so interesting.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
We're there! I'm puzzled, though: Greyhound was founded by someone else so who's the museum named for?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The story of Hibbing, and of Greyhound's origin.
Heart 1 Comment 0
It's not huge, but bigger than it might've been.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Out back.
Heart 0 Comment 0
An early Hound.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Charmaine RuppoltWow, the Greyhound buses sure looked different a long time ago!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Keith AdamsTo Charmaine RuppoltYep. Many of this type featured in a series of
Greyhound Bus Driver Cartoons and Jokes" panels outside the museum.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Heart 0 Comment 0

We're skunked on our attempt to enter the building though: taped to the inside of the door is a hand-written note that the volunteer is sick and has gone home for the day.  Nertz.

It's not on the official agenda, but we realize that we're very close to the Hull Rust Mahoning open pit iron mine, which is open to visitors.  We call an audible and elect to ride up to the viewing area.  It's worth the quarter mile or so of unpaved, semi-loose gravel surface when we reach the top.

The ore trucks in the pit are gargantuan. Note Serenity, for scale.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Charmaine RuppoltWow, those ore trucks are unbelievably big!!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Keith AdamsGargantuan.

They have a 1,600 horsepower diesel engine, that provides power to electric motors that drive the wheels. Each wheel has its own motor, and it takes only 126 revolutions of the wheel to cover a mile.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
You know you're operating a truly big rig when it has a full set of stairs for access, and a terrace adjacent to the operator's cab.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Je-HO-sephat that thing's big. 800 gallons of fuel, tires 10.5 feet tall, individual electric motors driving each wheel, 1,600 horsepower diesel. THIS is industrial grade.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Charmaine RuppoltHow come the ore trucks are so big? Because the ore is so heavy?
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Keith AdamsTo Charmaine RuppoltEconomy of scale, I presume. Cheaper to build and operate a smaller fleet of immense trucks, rather than a larger fleet of more conventionally-sized ones.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Don't stand under it when it's dumping. That hopper can hold 100 cubic yards of material, perhaps more.
Heart 0 Comment 0
For a sense of scale:this is one of those trucks in operation on the current floor of the mine, at full zoom on my camera. The truck is dwarfed by the shovel that loads it, and both look like tiny toys from where we're standing.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A full load, being carted off to somewhere.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is what they're hauling out, and why Hibbing had to move.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of the items on display is a 35-cubic-yard shovel. It takes three or four scoops from this thing to fill one of those trucks.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is what the business end of a 35 yard scoop looks like. I could easily have stood bolt upright in it.
Heart 2 Comment 0
He drove these things as a younger man, before getting into the construction business. We enjoyed hearing his stories.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Panoramic overview of the mine. This shot doesn't include anywhere near all of it, nor any of the adjacent pits.
Heart 1 Comment 0

After we've had our fill of gawking at the oversized Tonka trucks we make our way slowly and carefully down the quarter mile of loosely-packed dirt and gravel, and resume our tour of the town proper.  Next up, we'll go by the high school where Roger Maris and Kevin McHale starred in baseball and basketball, respectively, before going on to noteworthy professional careers.

On my way down the hill.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Gently does it!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another fine Art Deco building, this one a private home.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We pass across one of the main streets in the business district on our way to the high school.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The high school is a large, handsome building.
Heart 0 Comment 0

 The major reason for passing the high school lies on its west side.  There stands a recognition of the person who's arguably Hibbing's most famous son: musician and Nobel Laureate Bob Dylan.

Heart 1 Comment 1
Gretchen CarlsonWho would have known he's from Hibbing? You uncover lots of interesting (and quirky) history along your journey.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
The dyed-concrete guitar pick was a nice detail.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltLoaded mountain ash tree!

https://campustrees.umn.edu/mountain-ash
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
The home where Dylan grew up is still a private residence. In an amusing coincidence, one of the women we met at the tiny gift shop back at the mine has a cousin who grew up in it.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The crosswalk out front (the house stands on a corner lot).
Heart 1 Comment 0

Perhaps we just didn't know where to look, but there weren't any obvious monuments to either Maris or McHale, or to any of the other people of note who have a connection to Hibbing.  The winemaker was Robert Mondavi, no small force in that industry.  Two-term Governor (and Hibbing dentist) Rudy Perpich has no statue that we saw.  Nor did we find any traces of civic pride on display with regard to the other notables  connected to the town.

We've accomplished our objective, though, and make our way past the Hibbing Community College, an elementary school, and a few other civic structures then back to the hotel where a post-ride libation awaits.  Following our regular meeting and group dinner, it's back to the hotel for the usual writing time followed by bed.

I'll leave you with a few final images of this thoroughly pleasant town.

Halloween decorations that would give my next door neighbor a run for his money. I think his shows more imagination, though.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Gretchen CarlsonAh yes...we're seeing Halloween popping up in yards.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
A large Catholic church (and school? it didn't occur to me to check, at the time) occupies an entire block.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Home to, among other things, Hibbing's curling community.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 14 miles (23 km)
Total: 516 miles (830 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0