Shakedown Ride 1 - Laos is More: The Minimalism Tour - CycleBlaze

June 21, 2023

Shakedown Ride 1

Shanghai to Qingpu Hotel

The day couldn't come soon enough.  The new panniers were taken to work on the bike and packed with various items from my list.  This was our last day of the semester, capped off by a graduation ceremony after which point I would be riding out into the sunset. 

Unfortunately we weren't quite finished yet because a bunch of final exam grading and report cards still needed to be done, and those papers were coming along for the shakedown ride along with two computers.  But the weather was perfect so it couldn't wait.  

All set up and ready to rock
Heart 2 Comment 0

The panniers were by far the best part of the setup.  A total game changer.

A few adjustments needed to be made right off the bat.  First the handlebars were so large on the Montague that I couldn't fit the waterproof phone control case on snugly, and that needs to be modified with bigger straps.  

The second was the water bottle with the protein shake inside, same problem, there's no way to attach to the handlebars.

Third is the lock holder broke mid-ride and so the lock doesn't fit properly, so that can be fixed.

Finally the two computers along with my valuables were put in a backpack for some reason instead of in the panniers.  Maybe it's a habit as I've never used panniers before.  Eventually the backpack got so uncomfortable that I slung it across the handlebars like usual habits.  This was a mistake because the straps got caught in the wheels mid-ride and so the bag will need to be replaced.  This is a minor problem since I can get one at the laptop store.  

First major point of interest, a narrow ramp that goes down deep
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

The riding itself was not very pleasant, owing to the fact it was the day before a Chinese holiday.  Traffic on the roads was a shitshow, and not just cars, it was a steady stream of e-scooters.  By far the most annoying things on the road.  This went on for dozens of kilometers until finally easing off way out of town.

Good grief
Heart 0 Comment 0
Scooters everywhere
Heart 0 Comment 0
Spied this for a perfect stop
Heart 0 Comment 0

The 7-11 came up about 25km into the ride and my first habitual reaction would have been to go for the sodas and bread, and say “I deserve it because I rode on a bike here and am exhausted” but the reality is that would quickly gain back the calories I had already burned.  Instead I combed the store for healthy food and drink options and came across this.  Bingo!  Give me two of those.

I went for the YoPro oat and protein drink on the bottom right
Heart 0 Comment 0
A madhouse of scooters
Heart 0 Comment 0
Finally starting to ease off
Heart 0 Comment 0
Found a fishing type of farm
Heart 0 Comment 0

The riding was going super well once past all the traffic carnage and I quickly got into the groove.  It was a piece of cake to lock the bike to a post, unload the panniers, change clothes to something more presentable, and check into the hotel.  Now would begin the practice drill.

It's a really nice hotel. I began by leaving the bags near the front and doing a detailed survey of the place.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Step 1: Locate the safety deposit box, figure out how it works, and put the valuables inside
Heart 0 Comment 0
Step 2: Empty out all the bags and put them neatly in an easy-to-find place.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Step 3: Lay out the clothes for tomorrow
Heart 0 Comment 0
Step 4: All electronics placed beside the bed and ready to charge
Heart 0 Comment 0
Step 5: Computers, books, and final exam papers placed on the work table.
Heart 0 Comment 0

After this was done I did 20 pushups.  Then I went for some shopping and got familiar with the general neighborhood.  First thing to note was how many restaurants there were, it was insane.

I figure the bike was safe to lock here
Heart 0 Comment 0
Square dancing
Heart 0 Comment 0

After that I walked to the subway station to pick up my wife who was joining me after her work, then we had a nice dinner.  Hopefully she approved of the practice drill and the way the stuff was neatly arranged in the hotel.  Cleanliness is not the primary goal of the minimalist philosophy but it certainly is a nice byproduct.  After all it makes sense, if something is going to be dirty it is likely due to clutter.  If there is no clutter, it is likely to be clean.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 35 km (22 miles)
Total: 178 km (111 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0