Day 3 Bike: Vang Vieng to Kasi Hotspring Resort - Laos is More: The Minimalism Tour - CycleBlaze

July 9, 2023

Day 3 Bike: Vang Vieng to Kasi Hotspring Resort

Almost a week into this trip and I've barely even touched the budget.  This included Vang Vieng where the spending was the most.  At this rate I'll be leaving Laos with a surplus.  This isn't to say I couldn't find ways to spend more money.  There are upscale hotels here along with para-motoring, rock climbing, cave exploring.  There is no shortage of other things to do either, such as language courses, homestay, eco projects, you name it.  But time is the real limiting factor here. 

Even so, I discovered a new problem at the currency exchange here:  it's not possible to change Kip into other currencies.  This is unfortunately common to many countries with closed currencies, and Laos is on that list.  It looks like I'll have to change to Thai baht at the border later on.

And we're off
Heart 0 Comment 0
Stopped for a roadside shave
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is where it all began. The Namsong River
Heart 0 Comment 0
Found a nice pho stop along the river to take in all the atmosphere
Heart 0 Comment 0
Further up the Namsong river
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

It was one of those cycling days that were incredibly easy and chill despite it being pretty tough on the elevation.  At least two major passes and trending uphill most of the ride.  The cooler weather made a world of difference and this was thanks to the fact it rained.  I had all the raingear anyway so it wasn't an issue.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Coming over the pass to Kasi
Heart 0 Comment 0
What an amazing tour
Heart 0 Comment 0

There were countless villages of people waving, especially the children, and the sabaidees were off the hook.  I slowed down the bike and high-fived all the kids in a line when the chance presented itself and they were overjoyed with laughter as a result.  THIS is what cycle touring in Laos is all about.  It was really a perfect day.

I also took the chance to initiate many greetings myself and just kept the waves coming.  A motorbike also pulled up and the guy said, "You are most welcome to Laos, don't worry and never mind."  This was really touching along with all the thumbs up from truck drivers.    

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

It didn't take long at all to reach the hotsprings resort.  Due to the old phone being most likely permanently busted, I just put the devices in a safe place from the rain and cranked out the kilometers.  There weren't too many pictures to take or stops to make, it was just ride the bicycle and wave to the kids.

The owner Vieng remembered me from 5 years ago as the guy who rides during the rainy season.  To be fair nobody else really does this, but when the holidays are when they are that's just the way it is.

Delicious Pad Thai
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 77 km (48 miles)
Total: 585 km (363 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0