Lord's Wine Farm, south of McGregor - Tiny step 1: A mini tour from McGregor - CycleBlaze

June 10, 2021

Lord's Wine Farm, south of McGregor

Waking up was a long and drawn out process this morning.  Some of it might have been as a result of the amount of wine we got through last night but mostly it was because it was damn cold.

The vineyards were shrouded in mist when we woke up. By the time I got around to photographing it, the mist had lifted but it was still freezing.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We got going at about ten o'clock but it was still cold enough for us to wear our jackets, buffs and Sealskinz full gloves. 

We had about a kilometer on the tarred road before turning off southwards on a good quality dirt road.  A short climb meant that the cold-weather clothing was soon off and we enjoyed cycling in wonderful weather for the rest of the day.

Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

After about ten kilometers of easy riding we got to the start of a short steep climb.  Interestingly, despite the excellent condition of the road, the maximum allowed speed was twenty kilometers an hour.  Once at the top of the pass we had a lovely downhill through the Vrolijkheid Nature Reserve.  We only encountered a single other vehicle on the sixteen kilometers of dirt.  These sixteen kilometers stand out as the most enjoyable of this short tour.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

The last six kilometers to McGregor was back on a tarred road. We took a long lunch in the town, enjoying a couple of good pizzas at The Fat Lady's Arms.

Heart 1 Comment 0

We took out time leaving our lunch venue because we knew what was in store for us - a long climb up to Lord's Wine Farm on a busy, dusty road.

Approaching the top of the climb to Lord's. The feeling was one mostly of relief.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We felt pretty tired upon of our arrival at Lord's.  We are spending another day relaxing here before heading down to Cape Town for a week or so.

This marks the end of this short tour. 

Today's ride: 36 km (22 miles)
Total: 153 km (95 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0