Voss to Kinsarvik - Midtsommer - Mediterranean to the Fjords - CycleBlaze

July 9, 2023

Voss to Kinsarvik

The first change of plan for the day was to have a much appreciated, quiet, slow start to this sunny, Sunday morning.  Yesterday we thought we would have to start early to get ahead of the Sunday afternoon traffic but our convivial Australian camp host assured us that there is a separate bike path along the E13 for the 35km to Granvin.  So we took advantage of the kitchen to make breakfast, the wifi to post a blog update, and the beach for some tanning in the 27C heat and a very refreshing swim.  Having dawdled away the morning, we made sandwiches for lunch and rode away at 1pm. 

Over lunch we made a second change of plan, deciding to push on all the way across the Hardanger Fjord to Kinsarvik, assuming we could catch the ferries.  We determined we could get some groceries on a Sunday en route in Granvin. 

Apart from the lead navigator mis-reading the angle of a sign that sent us in the wrong direction, we made good time on the wide, smooth cycle path, uphill for 10km out of Voss. 

To avoid the tunnel bicycles have to take the old road which is a National Tourist Route winding around and beside the Skjervsfossen waterfall which, apart from being a stunning natural sight, was home to one of the best public bathrooms in Norway.  Last winter we had read how Norway was striving to put bold, innovative architecture in public spaces, including bathrooms on tourist routes… and suddenly there we were.  We joined the line, did our business and took photos (see below).  Kudos to the Norwegian government to put any bathrooms in public spaces but more so to make them memorable.  Beauty can be made in many places. 

Then we visited the waterfall. 

Thankfully we were not in a car because bicycles had to avoid the next tunnel by taking a peaceful, paved rail trail for 6km along the lake.  We were tempted to jump in for a swim but the trail was always up an embankment making access difficult. 

At Granvin the valley emptied into the sea and we got our first views of the Hardinger Fjord where we will be touring for the next week.  By now we were off the Bergen-Oslo highway and riding a winding, narrow and hilly road beside the sea with not much traffic. 

Having just missed the 5pm ferry from Kvanndal, which meant we would arrive in Kinsarvik after 8pm with a change in Utne, we made our third change for the day and opted for the commercial campground instead of finding a spot to wild camp. 

The Nordic sun was still high in the sky as we ferried across the fjord, soaking in the scenery.  Local ferries are free for foot and bicycle passengers. 

We arrived to a campground packed with a surprising number of families for a Sunday night but they managed to find us a square of grass in the parking lot and still charged an exorbitant $60 CAD.  Still, we were glad for the hot showers and kitchen with a fridge, so slept well dreaming of adventures for the following day. 

Morning swim in Voss
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
The bike trail is really just off the E13 highway.
Heart 5 Comment 0
One of the most beautiful public toilets in Norway.
Heart 5 Comment 0
This is the view from the “throne”.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Skjervsfossen. Quite a mouthful to say and harder to spell.
Heart 7 Comment 0
On the rail trail around Granvinvasnet Lake.
Heart 7 Comment 0
An isolated arm of the Hardanger Fjord
Heart 1 Comment 0
A second lunch waiting for the first ferry at Kvanndal.
Heart 8 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The ferry to Utne.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Coming into Utne
Heart 2 Comment 0
A second ferry to Kinsarvik
Heart 4 Comment 0
Most expensive campground ever. No room inside so they put us in the parking lot -at full price. Shows you don’t always get what you pay for!
Heart 0 Comment 2
Rachael AndersonThat’s awful!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Patrick O'HaraSue and I have had many unpleasant experiences just like this over the years. Always disappointing at the end of a long cycling day.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Sunset Hardangerfjord.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 45 km (28 miles)
Total: 3,257 km (2,023 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Lyle McLeodJust saw your new thumbnail pic - spectacular! Norway is such a great place (notwithstanding the $60 campsites 😬!) Really enjoying your travels through here. It’s on our list.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Ann HutchingIt’s wonderful reading your journal. You make it exciting and inspiring. Thank you.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
ann and steve maher-wearyThank you for your support of our blog. I have read yours with much interest and admiration over the years. This year’s trip was fun to follow as you went to places we have now been too as well. It makes it so fun to read your stories when I have a vivid picture in my mind to accompany your escapades. We will end up in England where you started your trip and you ended in the south of France where we started our trip. Cheers Ann
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
ann and steve maher-wearyTo Lyle McLeodHighly recommend it! Can be rainy but the scenery is spectacular.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago