Trier - Midtsommer - Mediterranean to the Fjords - CycleBlaze

June 10, 2023

Trier

Today we visited Trier, birthplace of Karl Marx, and as Germany's oldest city has plenty of relics from Roman times.  The Porta Nigra is impressive and the Roman bridge is imperial with its arches made of local, red sandstone, but it must have been refurbished a few times since Roman times as it now carries a full roadway of cars and trucks. We were mostly interested in newer things and spent the day wandering the wide, pedestrian boulevards and visiting churches.  

Kudos to the urban planners who managed to convince businesses that a car-free centrum, or old downtown, would be a good thing.  Today was evidence they were right.  The streets were alive with people of all ages and types out strolling, shopping and stopping for a bite or a beverage at the many places to eat or drink - never worried about being run down by a passing  motorist or breathing exhaust. Of course, the fact the streets are adorned with an incredible array of truly spectacular buildings from the past centuries helps the overall visual appeal.

During the 4th Century,  Emperor Constantine had an immense throne room built for when he was seated in Trier.   Much of  the original building still stands, and today it is magnificent, austere and light-filled church with a modern organ dominating the back wall.

St. Peter's Cathedral also has origins in the 4th century but is now filled with marvellously ornate, baroque features and a famous relic of  Christ's robe.

Liebfrauen Basilika, or Church of our Lady, is the newest addition, built in the  13th C is also the smallest, but has the most amazing stained glass windows.  They look modern, almost cubist, and we assumed they had all been replaced after WWII, but the only references I could find called them Gothic.

We feel physically rested, spiritually uplifted and ready to see the Mosel.  Tonight we are heading to a biergarten set up on the Roman Bridge for some special occasion where I hope to get a wurst for supper.

The old Roman Gate, La Porta Nigra, is the symbol of Trier
Heart 3 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltHasn't changed, as far as I can see, since we visited in '77.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
The Dom, St. Peter’s Cathedral, originated in the 4th Century.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Inside the Dom, Cathedral
Heart 1 Comment 0
An ornate chapel in the Dom, probably from the 17th Century.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dom Cloister garden
Heart 1 Comment 0
A meditative stroll in the cloister
Heart 3 Comment 0
Berries and cherries are still in season here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Elegant facade onto the main pedestrian boulevard.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Imperial Palace, the ornate extravagance of which may have influenced the thought of a young Karl Marx.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Konstantin Basilika, built as a throne room in the 4th Century.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Windows in the Liebfrauen Basilika that appear much more contemporary than the 13th Century origins of the church.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Evening poseurs at the fountain
Heart 3 Comment 0
Party on the Roman Bridge. There were signs for a « Moon Walk Night Hike » but most people seemed be there for a good time.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 5 km (3 miles)
Total: 1,963 km (1,219 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 0