Oxford - Midtsommer - Mediterranean to the Fjords - CycleBlaze

July 27, 2023 to August 1, 2023

Oxford

There is no denying it: the English do events very well.  

Graduation at Oxford is the epitome of pomp, tradition and ceremony, which we were fortunate to experience.  

After getting dressed in our finery (which our son, Rob had kindly brought from Canada so we did not have to carry it around in our panniers for three months), the day started with pre-ceremony coffee and photos at St. Cross, Kathleen’s college, then we processed over to the Sheldonian Theatre.  There we lined up and made our way up to the wooden benches which felt more comfortable after being told the building was designed specifically as a venue for graduation ceremonies by Christopher Wren, who also designed St Paul’s Cathedral (think Royal weddings and funerals) in London.  As promised, the sight-lines and acoustics were impeccable, the ceiling fresco of knowledge chasing ignorance out of heaven was inspiring and the Latin ceremony managed to be personal, formal and efficient; we were in and out in just over an hour.  A formal lunch with speeches and champagne back at St. Cross rounded out the official events but we continued to celebrate the day by touring some of Kathleen’s favourite Oxford spots, where she was often given a congratulatory welcome dressed in her graduation hood and robe.  

The following days were spent exploring, punting, helping Kathleen move out of residence and, best of all, get ready for her next adventure: a cycle tour of Britain.  With more than a little encouragement from her parents, Kathleen and her friend, Madison, having spent a year studying but not seeing much of England, decided to see the country from the the vantage of a bicycle seat, starting on the south coast of Cornwall and riding all the way to the top of Scotland, the classic Land’s End to John O’Groats.  We wish them well and hope our tent keeps them dry!  

Kathleen Weary, MSc.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Lining up to enter the Sheldonian Theatre for the ceremony.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
After grad
Heart 2 Comment 0
Giving thanks at Christ Church Evensong
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
The chapel at Worcester College
Heart 1 Comment 0
Henry Moore at Worcester College
Heart 0 Comment 0
Crossing the Meadow on our way to The Perch pub
Heart 4 Comment 0
Punting with fellow student, Jing- Wei. Not as easy as it looks.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Refreshments anyone?
Heart 1 Comment 1
Kathleen WearyHaha love this
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Showing our cricket form
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 25 km (16 miles)
Total: 3,763 km (2,337 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Suzanne GibsonWhat a happy event!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Kathleen ClassenHeartiest congratulations from one Kathleen to another! I hope the bike tour is/was brilliant.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Kathleen WearySuch an honor to receive a post! Love it ❤️
Reply to this comment
7 months ago