Istres to Arles - Midtsommer - Mediterranean to the Fjords - CycleBlaze

May 9, 2023

Istres to Arles

We swam in the sea first thing in the morning and even Ann got in; a perfect way to start the day.

After that it was a delightful meander, 11km on quiet back lanes to Miremas where we caught the 12:30pm train to Arles.  We chose the train because the cycle route was not that appealing, and we would have been facing a headwind, and just because it is sometimes so easy to take the train instead.  We arrived at the station a few minutes before the train which, thankfully, was due in at the first platform by the entrance - no crossing over with loaded bikes!   When it arrived we were relieved to see it was the type that is at the same level as the platform so we could roll our bikes straight on to the bike car.  At first, it didn't look good as the bike car was already crowded with  another bike and suitcases where the bikes were supposed to go, but the owner of the bike quickly made space so at least Ann could squeeze in.  Then another cyclist arrived and Steve ended up jammed in the opposite corner with him.  In the end both of us had terrific conversations with fellow passengers.  Ann spoke with Élodie who had recently finished an incredible, two month camel trek through the desert in Africa as well as intrepid cycle trips through many African countries.  Steve conversed with the "cycling priest of Arles" who gladly shared some insights for cycling Mont Ventoux.   In no time the trip was over, the train pulled into Arles and we had to say farewell to our travelling companions.

Our accommodations for the next two nights were a holiday resort complex a ways out of town.  We stopped at a grocery store on the way as our unit had a full kitchen.  As we cycled the last km to the hotel it started to sprinkle, the first raindrops in over a week.  Once inside, the rain fell all afternoon.  It felt good to have a hot shower, lie on clean sheets, while knowing that the fridge was full and we had no place to be.  It was time to finally taste that Blanquette de Limoux and catch up on three days of blog writing.  All is good.

A quiet, calm beach for a last swim in the Mediterranean.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Refreshed and ready to go. The water was surprisingly not salty but looking at a map we saw that this body of water is almost all closed off from the main sea. Good thing as there was no place to shower before getting on our bike clothes.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A last look at the Mediterranean before we head inland.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Camargue horses, but definitely not wild.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Arriving in Arles first sighting, the Amédée Pinchot Fountain.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Home for two nights.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 17 km (11 miles)
Total: 636 km (395 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 0