Riding the county D - The Metal Hip Club attempt the Northern Tier. - CycleBlaze

July 23, 2021

Riding the county D

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

It rained last night. It rained a lot. We were camping last night. Ross has an issue with his tent, the fly has lost its waterproofing. So when it gets saturated, like it did last night, it drips inside. He did not have an enjoyable night. Our tent is new and it kept us dry. We had to pack everything up soaking wet, which is not something we want to do. After packing up we went looking for breakfast. We wanted something fast so typically we go for C-store breakfast sandwiches. For some reason the stores in Antigo didn’t have breakfast sandwiches. The 4th one we went to had some. Our fast breakfast turned into a slow scavenger hunt.  

After the rain last night the morning was very foggy.  We turned on our blinking lights and rode very lightly traveled roads. After about 10 miles Ross split off to go visit his college friend and Janet and I took our road for the day County D. County D was a very nice road with some hills but none that were terrible steep or long. It passed through many forests and it was neat having the trees come close to the road.  

There was only one stop today at JJ’s Place in Bowler for lunch. We got to Bowler about 11 am after 30 miles. We had a nice lunch and when we got done the sky was clearer and the humidity was higher. We took off for the last 25 miles. County D overlapped Hwy 29 for a mile. Hwy 29 is a busy 4 lane east/west highway that carries many cars through central Wisconsin. It was very busy and it reminded me of riding the interstate in North Dakota. 

Yesterday and this morning Janet has been commenting on the lack of deer we have seen in Wisconsin. That changed in the afternoon. She spied a couple of deer in the woods as we went past.  About an hour later our bikes scared another deer and he bolted across the street right in front of us and into a corn field.  I am hoping that Janet starts talking about the lack of moose we have not seen on the trip. I am sure we will then see a moose within a few miles. 

We made it to our destination town of Clintonville at about 2:30. For dinner we went to  a Wisconsin supper club. The supper club is a Wisconsin tradition and they generally serve excellent food (the one tonight did!).  

Tomorrow we are riding into Appleton and then taking a rest day. 

Packing up a wet site
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ross going his separate way ☹️
Heart 0 Comment 0
In Wisconsin there are these little bars out in the country. This is a typical one.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We have seen many barn quilts in Wisconsin. Here is a link that discusses barn quilts: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wideopencountry.com/ever-see-a-quilt-pattern-on-a-barn-heres-where-the-tradition-came-from/amp/
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hwy 29. Reminded me of riding the interstate.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another Wisconsin tradition is the supper club. This is the one we went to for dinner.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 55 miles (89 km)
Total: 2,412 miles (3,882 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0