The hills of Wisconsin - The Metal Hip Club attempt the Northern Tier. - CycleBlaze

July 22, 2021

The hills of Wisconsin

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today we had a plan to ride 62 miles to the town of Antigo. We were going to stay on hwy 64 for all day. It is our last day on hwy 64. The day was going to be cloudy and cool all day. It started out that way as we got rolling a little before 7 am.  We only had one stop today in the town of Merrill which was 31 miles away. The hills started as soon as we left Medford. It was a constant up and then down. There was not any miles that were flat. The hills were not terrible steep or long. They did require us to shift into easy gears and work a bit to get to the top. Fortunately there was little to no wind this morning. Due to the lack of stopping we made pretty good time to the town of Merrill, arriving at about 10:30. We stopped in a very small cafe for breakfast/lunch. After eating we rode to  a C-store and got some Gatorade. After starting toward Antigo the real hills started.  We knew we were in trouble because there was a passing lane on the road. The hills were long and steep. Fortunately the downhills were also long and steep. The big hills lasted another 10 miles. The last 15 miles into Antigo were fairly flat. For the first time in a long time we are camping.  The city park in Antigo is very nice. Running water in the bathroom, showers and electricity at the tent sites. All this for $10. Can’t beat this deal. 

Tomorrow the Metal Hip Club is going to temporarily break up. Ross is going to ride to Green Bay to spend the night with a college friend. Janet and I are going to head toward Appleton to the city of Clintonville. We will reunite on Saturday in Appleton. 

Gloomy start to the day
Heart 0 Comment 0
Breakfast of champions
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looks like a big hole in a heart
Heart 0 Comment 0
Only in Wisconsin, a big chicken holding a burger and a beer
Heart 1 Comment 0
Wisconsin River
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Love this stuff
Heart 1 Comment 0
Lunch spot
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
A big climb
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 65 miles (105 km)
Total: 2,357 miles (3,793 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Sandy EarleThere’s a really good Mexican restaurant, El Tequila in Antigo on hwy 45. They serve breakfast, great huevos rancheros!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago