Riding home on busy roads - The Metal Hip Club attempt the Northern Tier. - CycleBlaze

July 31, 2021

Riding home on busy roads

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today is the last day of riding with Doug. Our destination for today is my sister Colleen’s house in Brighton, Mi where she is hosting us for a couple of days.  We camped last night and it was so dewy that our tents were soaking wet when we woke up. We packed up everything wet,  which I hate to do, and got rolling. Our first stop was in 8 miles to the town of Langford for breakfast. There was a town festival going on with a car show and an all you can eat pancake breakfast, Score!! Today we do not have a trail to follow, we have to navigate roads and figure a way to get to Brighton. The first 40 miles the roads were pretty good. Not much traffic and roads were not in too bad of condition. As we get closer to Brighton the roads get much busier, there are no shoulders and the condition of the roads deteriorate. The last 25 miles are some of the worse riding we have encountered on the trip. It got near ridiculous. We were riding on a gravel road and there was so much traffic that the cars were passing each other on the gravel. It made for a long and stressful last 25 miles. 

We got to Colleen and Tim’s house and put out our wet camping gear to dry, we took showers.  Fran, Doug’s wife, came over and she brought my Mother. I haven’t seen my Mom for 2 years so we had a nice visit. I showed her all our pictures and told her about our trip.   We ordered takeout Polish cuisine and had a great visit. 

Sunday we took a rest day. Colleen and Tim hosted a party for the rest of my family and many of my old friends. It was great seeing friends and family. Many of my friends were the guys who I bike toured with in younger days and we reminisced about old bike tours. It was great seeing everyone, many I haven’t seen for a couple of years. 

Tomorrow we are leaving and heading for Ohio.  We were hoping to go into Canada and go north around Lake Erie. The border is still closed to non-essential people, so we are going south to join the northern tier route in Ohio and go south around Lake Erie. 



Heart 0 Comment 0
Campground setup
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fashionista Doug thanks to wife Fran
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mom, Doug and Janet
Heart 1 Comment 0
Ross
Heart 0 Comment 0
Buzz, Terry and Tim
Heart 0 Comment 0
Michele and Raymond
Heart 0 Comment 0
Georgie, Fran and Julie
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fran, Julie and Kelsey.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Kathi, Mom, Doug, Janet, Fran, and Kelsey
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 66 miles (106 km)
Total: 2,770 miles (4,458 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0