Janet’s Story Week 9 - The Metal Hip Club attempt the Northern Tier. - CycleBlaze

July 26, 2021 to August 1, 2021

Janet’s Story Week 9

Wisconsin 

Day 57 Monday, July 26

Sherwood to Manitowoc 

After a rest day with family we had to move on. It was 38 miles for us to get to Manitowoc. Not a bad ride, and I like short days. The wind was with us today, so that makes for a faster ride.  My legs felt slow but our avg speed was 12.9, so actually a fast day for me!  The ferry will take us tomorrow, so basically no riding. Day off!

Day 58 Tuesday, July 27

Ferry ride - day off!

Michigan

Day 59 Wednesday, July 28

Ludington to Muskegon 

An up early day today. Terry’s brother is riding with us this week, so 4 of us needed to get thru one bathroom and packed up and loaded. Turns out we were on the road after stopping for gas station breakfast by 6:45. That’s better than the 3 of us have been doing! Good to have Doug along!! 

So, getting started after basically 2 rest days, my legs were sluggish. And of course, there were rolling hills to start with. The legs got better once we hit the trail.  The 62 mile day didn’t seem too bad when you get done by 1:30.

Staying with Paul and Kris tonight in Muskegon - friends from our winter in Mesa. 

Day 60 Thursday, July 29

Muskegon to Grand Rapids

We had a great time with Paul and Kris in Muskegon. We met them this past winter in Mesa, AZ. They were so kind to open their home to us and take care of us for the night. Paul also joined us on the way out of town this morning for 25 miles. Thanks Paul and Kris!!

Riding the bike trails most of the day was great!  But once we hit some hills, my legs are burning. The hills are slow. The guys are enjoying a faster pace on the trails and I’m trying to keep up, maybe pushing a little too much? My legs are definitely tired tonight. The heels of my hands are still bothering me. I think they are bruised so I’ve been wearing my thicker gloves.

Day 61 Friday, July 30

Grand Rapids to Sleepy Hollow State Park

I woke up before the alarm went off but didn’t get out of bed until 6. The day was supposed to be cooler so riding a little later wouldn’t matter. We left the hotel about 7:20 and rode 6 miles to McDonald’s for breakfast; back on the trail around 8:40. Today was mostly trails, mostly flat. The trail wasn’t paved for a large portion of it, so the rough ride took a toll on my hands and butt. We are camping tonight, so we stopped for a few groceries in the last town and had a snack. 12 miles to the campground on a road which turned into gravel. More bumpiness. We got off that at the first opportunity but the roads were pretty bumpy too. So ready to be done - I was getting “bump angry”. We made it to the campground around 5:30. Camping in the group tent area. Pit toilets. Showers in the main campground, but that’s a bike ride away and after 73 miles today it’s not happening. We bought wine at the store, so that was my 1st priority 😊

We got the tents up and sleep stuff set up and then it was time for cooking dinner. After we ate and did dishes it was time to escape the mosquitoes, so in the tent by 8:30. Should be a nice night for sleeping in a tent!

Day 62 Saturday, July 31

Sleepy Hollow Campground to Brighton

The day started out wet, not from rain, but from dew.  And since we had the flaps open on the tent, the dew also settled inside on the sleeping bag that was close to the door.  We packed it all up wet, knowing that when we got to Terry’s sister’s place today we could dry things out. This was the first day my legs didn’t bother me when we got started. What’s up with that! 2 months!  It was a 66 mile day though, so plenty of miles to tire them out. It was a rolling hills sort of day as we were back on the roads and not on trails anymore. The roads were not the best, no shoulder to ride and traffic was heavy at times. The road turned into gravel a couple of times and we thought “at least the traffic will lighten up”. But no, still a lot of traffic. There were a few granny gear type hills but nothing too bad. There was a 10 mile stretch where I was between Terry and Doug and we were doing a pretty good pace. But I can only do that so long before I get tuckered out and have to slow down. Traffic is what made this day hard and scary at times. Looking forward to a day off again tomorrow!!

Day 63 Sunday, August 1

Rest day! Fun visiting family and friends!!

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0