Graduation Day. - The Metal Hip Club attempt the Northern Tier. - CycleBlaze

June 29, 2021

Graduation Day.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Janet and I have been riding together for about 35 years and I have always ridden in lead.  Well today it started out differently. For the first 20 miles Janet rode in the lead.  This was the final test for Janet’s Master of Bike Tourer certification.  Janet passed with flying colors.  She proved her excellence in the required skills:

  • setting an acceptable and sustainable pace.
  • Asking the followers if the pace is acceptable.
  • Using proper hand signals. 
  • Slow pedaling when the group separates.
  • Rest breaks at reasonable distances.

By the power invested in me by me, I granted Janet the Master of Bike Tourer certification.   Janet recited the Master Bike Tourer oath “As master bike tourer I will take the lead when needed to break the wind for the team to provide easier riding for everyone “.  After reciting the oath, we held a graduation ceremony on the shoulder of the road.  We put on our yellow vests, turned on our blinking red lights, drank from water bottles and spit into the wind.  Truthfully, Janet has been riding terrific this trip.  She is a strong rider and has been riding strong day after day.  I am proud of her!

Today we actually got an early start.  The temperatures was forecasted to be in the mid to high 90’s.  We had a long ride scheduled of 72 miles.  So we got an early start to try to beat the heat.  The first segment of the ride was a 27 mile jaunt to the small town of Saco.  Janet took lead and set a great pace for the first 20 miles.  We got to Saco around 9:30 and stopped at the grocery store for chocolate milk and Gatorade.  While enjoying our drinks another bike tourer comes riding up (we did not get his name).  He was finishing his cross country tour, it took him 3 years.  The first year, 2019, he did a self-supported from Minneapolis to Maine.  In 2020, he did a supported ride from Seattle to Malta, Mt. (his son Sagged for him following in an RV).  This year he started in Minneapolis with his son and was riding to Malta to complete his cross country.  He was a very happy person.

The next stop was in Hinsdale which was after 14 miles. We stopped for more drinks and ate lunch on a picnic table.  Lunch was the sandwiches and burritos we bought the day before, but, we didn’t eat them because the tour group gave us lunch.  We all agreed the tour group lunch was much better than sandwiches that have ridden on the back of the bike for a day. After lunch, the next segment was 14 miles to a rest area.  The heat of the day was really starting to crank up and we were starting to slow down. The rest area had a bathroom and some cold water.  The final segment was 14 miles and it was really hot.  We took our time and had lots of stops to make sure we stayed hydrated.  We rolled into Glasgow around 4:30 and got another hotel room.  When it is this hot we really don’t like to camp and be out in the sun more than we need to.

Tomorrow we go to Wolfpoint, about a 50 mile day.  It is supposed to be hot again so we are hoping for another early start.

Early start.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Leader of the pack.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our graduation vests.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Image not found :(
Our lunch spot in Hinsdale.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Image not found :(
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hot road.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 72 miles (116 km)
Total: 1,265 miles (2,036 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0