Windy day - The Metal Hip Club attempt the Northern Tier. - CycleBlaze

June 30, 2021

Windy day

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today we have a medium day of 54 miles and a target of Wolf Point, Mt.  The forecast for the day is sunny and hot with highs in the mid 90’s. We get on the road a little before 7 am with the hopes of beating the heat and getting off the road by early afternoon.   We plan to stop for drinks in Nashua after 14 miles. The day starts slow due to lack of energy after the long day yesterday. Also there is a consistent head wind of 10-15 mph. The head wind will last all day and slow us down considerably. We reach Nashua and the only store is a gas station convenience store that is more gas station than store. We pick up some drinks and start rolling again after a few minutes. About 7 miles after Nashua we turn off Hwy 2 and take a back road. This added a couple of miles to the route, but, gets us away from any traffic.  This is the first back road off the hwy road we have taken in several weeks. The road went directly into the wind for 32 miles.  It was bordered by farm fields on both sides with no trees for shade. The wind is making for slow progress, we have to earn every foot forward and it slowly drains our energy.  We stop for lunch after 12 miles and then proceed for the final 20 miles. We slow struggle along and after 8 miles we stop in a rundown bar for some sodas. The final 12 miles were really tough but we make it to town around 3:15, hot and tired. 

Tomorrow is another tough day. It is a 53 miles day and there will be about 3000 feet of climbing. It is going to be hot and windy again. We are hoping to get on the road by 5 am to beat the heat. 

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
First look at the Missouri River.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Long hot back road.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 55 miles (89 km)
Total: 1,320 miles (2,124 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0