Riding around Clermont: Getting back in time to watch the Tour de France - A Summer Meander Through France - CycleBlaze

July 25, 2015

Riding around Clermont: Getting back in time to watch the Tour de France

Getting up early this morning, I thought I would tootle around Clermont a bit. The spa city of Volvic is not far away, so why not go there? And the campground is a great launching pad for a ride, if you start out going down, which was exactly what I did. Left turn at the bottom of the hill, and follow the signs. Easy as pie, or in this case almond croissants easily found in the first bakery I passed. Then on though Durtol, where the streets were torn up for utility work (when does this EVER end?) and on to Volvic. There are a lot of spa towns around Clermont Ferrand, and Volvic is well known due to the commercialization and wide distribution of the water. Nobody comes here to take the cure anymore, though, because the secu (sécuritîe sociale) no longer pays for it, so the Town is somewhat down at the heel.

Above the town is the medical castle of Tournoel. The climb up through the back streets of Volvic is a bit steep, but it's not far and the view from there is splendid. Damn my luck,though, it was closed.

After admiring the view, I descended into town and picked my way through back streets to find a small route to get back to Clermont. Following the D2, I wound my way past the municipal stadium and past modern tower blocks, only to get lost getting near the center. Eventually I found the railway station, and from there I could follow the signs to the old heart of the city and the place de la cathedral. The square is large and lined with brasseries, so it looked a good place to find lunch. A salade Auvergnat fit the bill, cured ham, local cheese, cold boiled potatoes and lettuce, very good.

Then it was the long climb up to the campground, a shower and the Tour de France on the rec center TV. And Nairo Quintana almost stole it back from Froome, while a Frenchman, Thibaut Pinot took the stage. Dinner of steak haché, fries and salade and bed.

The spa garden in Volvic has statues carved from the local volcanic stone
Heart 0 Comment 0
Tournoel
Heart 0 Comment 0
Breakfast!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Urban II has pride of place on the place next to the cathedral. He preached the first crusade in Clermont, and the results of that are still being reckoned with....
Heart 0 Comment 0
Gothic.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 55 km (34 miles)
Total: 78 km (48 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0