Headwinds, Windy roads and Wind Turbines. - 3 old blokes tackle the Mawson Trail - CycleBlaze

April 17, 2021

Headwinds, Windy roads and Wind Turbines.

Mt Bryan East schoolhouse to Spalding

A potential holiday house for Dale Kerrigan
Heart 2 Comment 0
A slow grind up and over the ridge
Heart 4 Comment 0
Vast open spaces
Heart 2 Comment 0

3 foot thick walls and zero traffic on the Mt Bryan Rd ensured a restful night’s sleep. We got away relatively early and did a big loop around Mt Bryan on decent dirt roads weaving through the Mallee scrub. The Mawson Trail definitely does not take the shortest route between 2 towns, and after 25k’s we were only 5 k’s from the schoolhouse. It was pleasant enough, with enough ups and downs to keep us warm. The wind was picking up and the sun was meekly poking through the wispy clouds.

Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0

We left the mallee scrub and hit wide open farmland and rode up and over ridge lines dotted with turbines. They were turning briskly courtesy of the ever increasing breeze blowing directly in our faces. We were envious of the cyclists we ran into today, who were heading north to south and had tail winds all the way.

Heart 3 Comment 0

Spalding was our destination and more specifically the pub. Luckily they had 2 spare rooms so we were set. I was covered in dust and despite my best efforts in the shower I still turned my white towel  a reddish hue by the time I was done.

A bit of a slog of a day, but still lots of fun.

Heart 4 Comment 0

Today's ride: 83 km (52 miles)
Total: 417 km (259 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 11
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Glenys RoperFantastic pics and description. The road looks a bit gnarled in places?
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Helen CoxGood going old guys! Bet you love a pub!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Dennis LangleyTo Glenys RoperCertainly are. They change rapidly from smooth to sandy to rocky to corrugated. You have to keep your wits about you. But it’s a great ride with apparently the best to come.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Dennis LangleyTo Helen CoxCertainly do!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago