An Amazing Day - Montague to Charlottetown - Canadian Maritimes June 2023 - CycleBlaze

June 14, 2023

An Amazing Day - Montague to Charlottetown

A dive bombing eagle, a wrong turn, and an ending rain!!!

We rode all 66 miles on the Confederation Trail which runs the whole distance of PEI east to west. The idea was to start what was to be a 47 mile ride to Charlottetown, the province capital. And to get there before the rain.The weather channels had all forecasted rain. We made a wrong turn that brought our total to 65 miles in a substantial rain the last 20 miles. We were cruising along thinking we had about 22 miles to go when we asked the only person we had seen all day how far to Charlottetown. He turned 180 degrees and pointed back the way we had come and figured it was about 33 miles that way. We sank knowing there were many miles to go and there was no way we would avoid the rain! We got wet and muddy but we made it, had a hot shower, and dinner with Ken and nancy.

Heading out.
Hurricane Fiona devastated PEI. We saw so much evidence of the destruction that does not really show on these photos but maybe you can get a feel for it.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another
Heart 0 Comment 0
And another.
Heart 0 Comment 0

BUT THIS WAS THE MOST AMAZING THING! 
John was riding along at a good clip. I was just behind him. We were in a very rural, wild section of the trail when out from over John’s left shoulder a Bald Eagle literally dive bombed him! I thought it was going to grab his helmet. Then the eagle turned and at the same height as our bikes flew about four hundred feet down the trail ahead of us before turning off to our right and landing atop of an eighteen foot conifer and just staring at us! Through it all I’m yelling to John, “it’s an eagle! It’s an eagle!” As if John didn’t know. Then we stopped and just talked to the eagle and took his photo and finally rode on. It was amazing. That’s all I can say!

That’s our guy. We were on the path just at the base of the tree. I’ll do some zooming and cropping so you all can see him.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 66 miles (106 km)
Total: 314 miles (505 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Jim Conboywow what an experience!
Reply to this comment
11 months ago