Toledo, OH to Tecumseh, MI: - Mackinac Island after abandoning the USBRS (US Bicycle Route System) - CycleBlaze

May 8, 2019

Toledo, OH to Tecumseh, MI:

Finally, Ohio in the rear view mirror.

After 7 days cycling we finally left Ohio. I looked forward to getting a picture at the Michigan border but we must have crossed it while bumping along a dirt road in the middle of a wind swept field.

Some roads were so little traveled that the signs waved excitedly at us when we cycled by.

https://youtu.be/C8XL8AH1U1c

On our way out of town we stopped and bought a hooded jacket (her fifth layer) in an attempt to keep Rhona warm. She scored a bargain price paying $9 for the black jacket at a Walmart. Dave’s fascinated by the lacing in the back which resembles those seen in old fashioned corsets.

We’re used to startling cattle when we pass, but now even small children run in terror to their mothers when we approach.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Suburban Toledo has some pretty streets but I think we just missed the peak bloom on the trees or the petals just shivered off from the cold.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We cycled through one scenic town, Blissfield, MI founded in the 1820’s The Kalamazoo Erie railway ran through the town and there is still an excursion train in operation. The Blissfield Hotel is near the station. I didn’t get a very good picture because we didn’t want to cross traffic for a better vantage.

https://youtu.be/X9FgqXim3oU

This was another windy day but we were dealing with more crosswinds. I had it somewhere in the back of my mind that this town was where the small gasoline Tecumseh engines were manufactured and expected to see some reference to the plant on our way into town. This may have been their headquarters but apparently the manufacturing occurred elsewhere.

We’re staying in a cheap motel tonight and struggling with shower fixtures and a weak wind wi-fi signal but we’re warm and dry and there is some kind of healthy food store across the street so Rhona is happy.

Today's ride: 40 miles (64 km)
Total: 395 miles (636 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0