Gaylord, MI to Cheboygan, MI: - Mackinac Island after abandoning the USBRS (US Bicycle Route System) - CycleBlaze

May 15, 2019

Gaylord, MI to Cheboygan, MI:

Chillin in Cheboygan

We were slated to ride the North Central Michigan rail trail all the way to Cheboygan.

The trail was crushed limestone and unfortunately in many places was not compressed sufficiently for my 32 mm wide tires. Mountain bike tires or even better, a fat bike would have worked better. But we had decent temperatures and sunny skies and a varied scenery.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Route descriptions promised chances to see beavers.

Lodge across the stream.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The dam just downstream. Unfortunately the beaver all seemed to be resting from their labors.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We cycled for miles along Mullet Lake.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We took our time pulling into Cheboygan as we are so far ahead of the tourist season we don’t have to worry about hotel rooms. At 8 Pm we think there is only one other room taken. Their car has bikes on the rear rack. Silly people, what were they thinking bicycling in northern Michigan at this time of year.

This is the deck on the river just outside our room. The hotel (Fleetwood Inn & Suites) has been newly remodeled. The man who checked us in along with his wife and son live in the hotel. I think they manage the property. At 8 PM all three were out making repairs to the dock.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We’ve made reservations for Chippewa hotel on Mackinac Island for tomorrow night. We’ll catch the ferry tomorrow morning hoping to beat the afternoon and overnight rain. I hope the Islanders don’t blame us for the weather.

Today's ride: 48 miles (77 km)
Total: 722 miles (1,162 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0