There's a Reason For This: Geneva Logistics Day - Hey Buddy, You're Going the Rhone Way - Rhone Source to Sea 2018 - CycleBlaze

October 20, 2018

There's a Reason For This: Geneva Logistics Day

Our comments from yesterday were prescient.

We planned a full day into our schedule to do what in an ideal world should only take a few hours. Given that we are in Switzerland, there should have been no better place to be set up for success. But.....

With the benefit of a few hours of reflection, and a full belly of pizza and wine, we were ultimately successful. However, this outcome was far from certain at various points in the day.

To cut to the chase, our flights back to Calgary are with Lufthansa, on a code share with Air Canada. Our flights over here were the flip side, Air Canada code shared with Lufthansa. Although both are part of Star Alliance, guess what ... the stars don't align, particularly with respect to bike policy.

There must be something buried deep in our limbic system that caused us to plan for a full day of bike check in, 'cause that's what happened today. At the airport at 10 am, and by 5 pm we had bikes and luggage checked through to Calgary, boarding passes in hand, and no extra money shelled out. All good.

However, K and I are on separate flights from Geneva to Frankfurt as the plane was changed from a full size Airbus to a regional jet, without enough room for both bikes. A further highlight of the day was that at one point they were trying to stiff us with nearly $900 Cdn of additional flight change and bike charges. Sweet.

As noted above though, everything got sorted out, no extra charges, and we were even able to check everything in today even though our flights don't leave until tomorrow morning. All good.

The highbrow M Michelin dining experiences were also over. After getting all the travel arrangements sorted , we had a celebratory beer at the airport (nice outdoor patios!), and then headed off to a local Italian pizza place close to our airport hotel. It was just what we wanted, and needed. And it was very good.

That makes this trip a wrap .... with the caveat that our stuff shows up in Calgary when we do!

Great ride, recommend it to everyone.

SOTD

With what we went through today ....

Mess Around by Ray Charles

A classic, and a mess around is what we had today. However it all ended up ok and we're feeling good, just like this song.

Starting the reverse process ... entering the airport at the same place we built our bikes on arrival 19 days ago. Time stamp 10 am
Heart 0 Comment 0
Time stamp 6 pm. Bikes and bags checked in, boarding passes in hand .. it's almost over!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Great Pizza ... all day in planes tomorrow!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0