Home - Lower Lake Michigan - CycleBlaze

September 8, 2023

Home

We got up a bit late this morning but it didn't really matter as our first stop today would be the Paul Lawrence Dunbar house in Dayton, OH and it didn't open until 10 a.m.

We headed south again on I75, but first we needed some breakfast and you guessed it, we stopped at a Tim Hortons about 30 minutes down the road.

Paul was a renown African America poet and this house was purchased by his mother in 1904 where Paul lived till his death in 1906. His mother lived in the house until her death in 1934 after which the State of Ohio bought the property and opened in 1938 as a museum.

We were given a tour of the house which hadn't change much since Paul's death. Amazingly, the den where some of Paul's books were stored looked exactly the same as a photo on the wall from the early 1900's.

Paul Lawrence Dunbar House.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Paul Lawrence Dunbar House.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Paul Lawrence Dunbar House.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Paul Lawrence Dunbar House.
Heart 0 Comment 0

After our visit in Dayton, we travelled further south to Cincinnati and stopped at the William Taft National Historic Site.

William Taft, was not only the 27th President he was also the 10th Chief Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court.

His career started in 1900 when he was appointed Governor General of the Philippines. In 1904, he returned home to serve as President Theodore Roosevelt's Secretary of War. 

Taft ran for and easily won the Presidential election in 1908.

After he failed to win re-election in 1912, he taught law at Yale until appointed Chief Justice in 1921.

William Taft National Historic Site.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Taft House, William Taft National Historic Site.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Once across the Ohio River, Cameron took me to a park overlooking Cincinnati. 

Scenic Overlook at Devou Park.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We got home to Louisville mid afternoon on Friday and prepared for the Bike to Beat Cancer ride the next day where we rode 70 miles in to raise money for research to fight cancer.

I raised over $800 this year to help the local hospital Norton Healthcare fight to beat cancer.

Almost done. The last sag stop before the finish.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The finish line and our medals.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Karen PoretThank you for the ride for cancer! My husband had 2 types last year ( 2023) and now I have breast cancer. Appreciate your selflessness for the cause.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago