Chicago, IL to Pleasant Prairie WI - Lower Lake Michigan - CycleBlaze

September 2, 2023

Chicago, IL to Pleasant Prairie WI

Day 8

After waking up a bit late and getting ready it was time to go out and find some breakfast. We intended to go to the Corner Bakery right next to the hotel, but it was closed so we decided to make the 6 block walk to another on Randolph Street in the theatre district. On the way I took these photos of some of the theatres in the area.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

It was already warming up as we walked back to our hotel, so after one last hotel photo we went to the room, gathered our stuff and wheeled the bikes into the elevator one at a time. Safely on the street, we joked with the bellman that we really didn't need his services as we carried all our luggage ourselves. 

Palmer House Hotel.
Heart 0 Comment 0

First stop was the Route 66 Beginning on Michigan and Adams, then we rode off along Michigan Ave heading to Navy Pier. 

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We rode out to the very end of Navy Pier, there may have been a no cycling sign that I missed but as it was early it wasn't to busy with pedestrians.

 From the pier we were able to see the Chicago Harbor Southeast Guidewall Lighthouse, the Chicago Harbor Lighthouse and a distant view of the Four Mile Crib Lighthouse. None of these lighthouses you can officially visit so this would be the closest I would get.

Chicago Harbor Southeast Guidewall Lighthouse.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Chicago Harbor Southeast Guidewall Lighthouse.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Chicago Harbor Lighthouse.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Chicago Harbor Lighthouse.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Four Mile Crib Lighthouse.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Chicago Harbor Lighthouse and Four Mile Crib Lighthouse.
Heart 0 Comment 0

From the other side of the pier I could also see the William E. Dever Crib Lighthouse. This lighthouse along with the Four Mile Crib and the Wilson Avenue Crib were not officially built as lighthouses but are all water intakes to supply water to Chicago, however require illuminating to avoid shipping collisions.

William E. Dever Crib Lighthouse.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Chicago Harbor Lighthouse

A forty foot lighthouse was first built in at Chicago in 1832 next to Fort Dearborn. 

In the 1850's, piers were constructed to create an entrance to the Chicago River and a lighthouse was placed on the end of the north pier. In 1859 the pier lighthouse was replaced with an octagonal ironwork structure. By 1870 the piers had been extended and a beacon light was erected on the outer end of the pier.

After breakwaters were built in 1877, the current Chicago Harbor Lighthouse was constructed. The construction took 4 years 1889 to 1893.

With the activation of Chicago Harbor Lighthouse, the 1859 iron lighthouse was extinguished. The tower was shipped to Rawley Point, Wisconsin.

In 1917/18, the harbor light was relocated on the breakwater and in 1925 the light was electrified.

Chicago Harbor Southeast Guidewall Lighthouse

A set of locks was built at the entrance to the Chicago River between 1936 and 1938 and at this time the Chicago Harbor Southeast Guidewall was built. The locks were built to prevent heavy rain flowing into the lake from the river. The river had previously been reversed in 1900 to separate the cities sewage effluent from the drinking water sourced from the lake.

The present lighthouse was established at its eastern end in 1938. The lighthouse had previously served as Kewaunee Pierhead Lighthouse in Wisconsin from 1912 to 1931.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

In was 10 am. when we rode off Navy Pier and picked up the Chicago Lakefront Trail heading north. Both the heat and the number of people out on this lovely Saturday morning had increased but sensibly the trail was split in most places, one for cyclists and one for pedestrians so the going wasn't to bad.

We made our way past beaches, small headlands and mariners with the city skyline slowly receding in our rear mirrors.

Wilson Avenue Crib Lighthouse.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lakefront Trail, Chicago.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

As the miles rolled on it was hard to tell if we had left Chicago proper or we were in another suburb. Just before Evanston, the Lakefront Trial had finished and we were on shady low traffic streets amongst a mixture of old and new buildings. Riding parallel to the E train track at times.

Our route took us back to the lake another time at Lee Street Beach and Evanston beach where there was a trail through the parks. We stopped here briefly and I thought perhaps we should have tried to ride past Wrigley Field but looking at the map we were well past that point. Next time I guess.

Just around the corner was Northwest University, a worthy stop to take in the magnificent buildings.

Northwest University.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Karen PoretNorthwestern..not Northwest…;)
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Northwest University.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Northwest University.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Northwest University.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Northwest University.
Heart 0 Comment 0

I nice separated bike lane took us down Sheridan Road past the university dorms and on to the Grosse Point Lighthouse.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Northwest University.
Heart 0 Comment 0


By 12 noon we had reached Grosse Point Lighthouse and after walking around we decided to have lunch overlooking the beach (no photos)

The Lighthouse is normally open on weekends but as luck would have it, was not open holiday weekends so I settled for a walk around and some photos. The plus was we were the only people there.

Grosse Point Lighthouse.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Grosse Point Lighthouse.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Grosse Point Lighthouse.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Grosse Point Lighthouse.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Grosse Point Lighthouse. Base is huge.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Grosse Point Lighthouse.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Grosse Point Lighthouse

Siting atop a twenty-five-foot bluff, the Grosse Point lighthouse is a 113-foot-tall brick tower and was activated on March 1, 1874. 

 A second-order Fresnel lens is the largest size ever used on the Great Lakes, and Grosse Point’s second-order lens was the first one installed on the lakes and the only one that remains active today.

in 1914, the bricks used in the construction of the tower had deteriorated so the tower was encased in reinforced concrete. In 1934, the station was electrified with the light operated by a photoelectric cell, and the last keeper left the station in 1935. 

Grosse Point’s light was discontinued in 1941, as buoys were anchored seven miles offshore.

Green Bay Trail.
Heart 0 Comment 0

After leaving the lighthouse we worked our way up Sheridan Road then west to pick up the Green Bay Trail that ran parallel to Green Bay Road and the rail road. We would follow this trail under different names for the next 2 days. 

Kenilworth, Winnetka, Hubbard Woods, Ravinia Park, Fort Sheridan. As we rode along I imagined the train public address system calling out the station names.

The trail, while sometimes deviating to short sections of neighborhood streets bounced between pathed and crushed stone and we appreciated the shade lined sections when they arrived.

Green Bay Trail.
Heart 0 Comment 0

At 1:30pm. we took a quick rest stop Highland Park by the old log cabin, then crossed the street to Walgreens for a Gatorade and ice-cream sandwich.

Highland Park, IL.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Highland Park, IL.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We passed the Navel Station on the Great Lakes where two young sailor recruits dressed in naval white casually walked arm in arm along the trail on a Saturday afternoon. I wonder whether their love will last past their training and eventual posts elsewhere.

Waukegan proved to be a challenge, the shade on the trail disappeared and the local drivers didn't have a clue that flashing lights at a crosswalk meant someone was crossing their path.  I almost came to an untimely death as I was close to being mowed down by a careless driver. He did give me a "sorry wave" as he roared past though. This would prove to be the most dangerous section of the trail crossing streets in the area.

Waukegan.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Waukegan was also where we left the trail to head to the lake shore to visit the Waukegan Lighthouse.

It was hot, involved a hill and some navigating to get out on the pier. Somewhat underwhelmed after visiting Grose Point so we only hung around long enough to take some photos and that was it.

Waukegan Lighthouse.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Waukegan Lighthouse.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Waukegan Lighthouse.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Waukegan Lighthouse.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Once back on shore, Cameron took a quick break under a tree in the park while I walked across the street to get a photo of the old lighthouse keepers house. 

Waukegan Lighthouse, lighthouse keepers house.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Waukegan Harbor Lighthouse

In 1848 a brick tower and a keeper’s dwelling was built on a bluff  Waukegan. By 1860 the brick tower was failing so a wooden tower was built atop the keeper’s dwelling and the old brick tower was demolished. 

In 1881 work begun on harbor improvements which took nearly two decades and over $200,000 to complete. Once the piers were finally finished in 1898, a post light was established on the end of the north pier and the old lighthouse on the bluff was discontinued.

A more permanent tower was established in 1899 on the south pier. in 1905 the pier was extended and the tower relocated 1400 feet to the end of the pier.

A two-story, redbrick keepers house was built in 1909 and still stands today.

The pier light was electrified in 1939, and a new fog signal was installed. in 1967, a fire broke out and destroyed the fog signal building. At that time, the lantern room for the tower was removed and an exposed light was installed.

The 1909 keepers’ dwelling remains standing on the corner of Madison Street and Harbor Place and has recently been home to a deli and a bait and tackle shop.

Waukegan.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We re-joined the trail just north of Waukegon, and started the last 15 miles to end the day. Originally we had planned to camp tonight at the Illinois Beach State Park, but as it was Labor weekend I couldn't book a campsite. They were fully booked. Not knowing the state of Illinois turn away policy for cyclists at state parks, I had booked a hotel as a contingency plan. The closer we got to our turn off for the state park it made less and less sense to waste time riding over to find out.

By this time the trail was called the Robert McClory Bike Path so we stayed the course as we headed towards Wisconsin. We also discovered we were on Bike Route 37.

Robert McClory Bike Path.
Heart 0 Comment 0

As the afternoon wore on the heat started to drop off with some cloud cover and it was 5:15 pm as we crossed over into WI.

Not expected any signs, we were surprised to see a Welcome to Wisconsin sign on the trail. And a new name for the trail.

IL / WI state line.
Heart 0 Comment 0
IL / WI state line.
Heart 0 Comment 0
IL / WI state line.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Once over the state line, we turned off the trail and rode though a neighborhood then west along the a road straddling the state line to get to Hwy 31. Green Bay Road. 

We found our favorite road again. Green Bay Road. Does it actually go there?
Heart 0 Comment 0

Looking right we could see the Welcome to Wisconsin and left Welcome to Illinois, so we backtracked on IL Hwy 131 to get a photo of the Welcome to Illinois sign. I even changed into the shirt I was wearing when we reached Illinois 2 days ago. :)

Welcome to Illinois, again.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Welcome to Illinois, again.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Welcome to Wisconsin.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Welcome to Wisconsin.
Heart 0 Comment 0

A few more miles riding west and north and we were close to the hotel situated next to a rest area and the freeway and we stumbled upon another sign, so it was photo op time again.

Yes, I believe we are in Wisconsin.

Welcome to Wisconsin. Serious sign overload.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Welcome to Wisconsin. Serious sign overload.
Heart 0 Comment 0

6:30 pm saw us checking into the Pleasant Prairie Fairfield Inn. After a quick shower each, we went to dinner at Culvers. Another deciding factor to ride out this way to the hotel.

The line at Culvers was nearly out the door, but the wait wasn't to long and we finished the night with some frozen custard desert.

Ouisconsin does have a ring to it.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 64 miles (103 km)
Total: 417 miles (671 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0