Ybbs to Melk, Austria - London to Istanbul on a Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

September 27, 2012

Ybbs to Melk, Austria

Fellow tandem travellers - Brigitte and Beet from Switzerland have been riding the Donau from Donaueschingen as well. We met them while staying at the same hotel in Ybbs. As we talked, we realized that we had been seeing each other at different points along the trail.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We stayed at Gasthaus Mang in Ybbs with the help of Walter.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bicycle museum in Ybbs - a fascinating place created with passion showing the evolution of the bicycle from its earliest days.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltThat's a wild bike at the bike museum in Ybbs - with the rifle and sword attached to the frame! Wonder if they really rode with the bike like that?!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
We saw bike lights which used fuel and candles.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Beautiful chainrings inscribed with decorative detail - a distinctive feature of the Austrian bike builder, Waffenred.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A fire fighter's bicycle.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Early style of gear shifting.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Barry is ready to roll on the penny farthing.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Leather tires made by Dunlop in Ireland, and the tube is permanently attached to the rim.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltWow, never heard of leather tires for bikes!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
As the bikes at this time had no brakes, riders couldn't safely avoid dangers like dogs -hence the explosive pellets they used to deter dogs.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The earliest bike - made of wood and no pedals - the rider propelled himself forward with his feet on the ground. It was known to be able to hit speeds of 20 km.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
The "boneshaker" - no rubber.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fahrad (bike) museum
Heart 1 Comment 0
A thoughtful touch outside the museum - tools for cyclists.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The city hall-rathaus
Heart 0 Comment 0
A cool morning and my birthday - so, let's celebrate with coffee and a pastry at the bakery.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltNice that Mary Ellen could celebrate her birthday while on the bike trip! :) Can't ask for a better birthday!! :)
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Sharing the trail...
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Austrian farmers are so neat and methodical - squash lined up in rows.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We amuse ourselves by waving at and trying to get pictures of ourselves in these road mirrors.
Heart 0 Comment 0
These ladies were really suited up for the pending rain - including knee high booties.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This couple were celebrating their 60th Anniversary by taking the Danube river cruise. As they are from Ontario (Midland) as am I , and it is a celebratory day for the three of us, we decided to have our picture seal the day.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Their river boat
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our first glimpse of the Benedictine Abbey at Melk.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We unexpectedly ran into our wonderful friends from Connecticut whom we had first met a week ago. They treated me to a memorable birthday dinner at their hotel and a birthday dessert. We had such a nice evening with them -thanks for the wonderful memories.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our affable server George - the son of the owners at the hotel. Thanks for the special glass of wine!
Heart 0 Comment 0
A birthday to remember - Peter, Gisele (sorry for the spelling!!), Mary Ellen and Barry
Heart 1 Comment 0
birthday treats!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our hotel in Melk - we are staying for 2 nights in this charming town.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 32 km (20 miles)
Total: 2,890 km (1,795 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0