Dunaharszti to Rackeve: From Pension to Palace - London to Istanbul on a Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

October 22, 2012

Dunaharszti to Rackeve: From Pension to Palace

Awoke to sunshine and very high temperatures. The ride today was on quiet country roads and we followed the river for part of the time. The surfaces were generally quite good, saw many food stands selling their fall bounty - a good day.

Mary Ellen is struggling with a chest cold - and is enjoying a rare hot breakfast. The Panzio provided a lovely cold buffet and a choice of egg dishes made to order.
Heart 0 Comment 0
As well, Barry is enjoying a rare "mug" of coffee fresh from the espresso machine.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We are enjoying being less encumbered and having a lighter bike. We really notice a difference as we can go faster with less effort.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hungarian homes have completely enclosed yards with gates - and behind each gate are dogs who furiously bark and try to chase us as we go by. By the time we ride down a street, the sound of dogs has travelled to each house.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We're thinking that the sign is bidding us farewell in Hungarian.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Smaller churches in rural Hungary.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We were intrigued by this unusual building - Barry went in and it is an indoor playground.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We see many of these Hungarian cars - it looks larger than it is in the picture -it is quite small.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wonderful veggie stands along the road. This one was quite varied - but often it is just large sacks of potatoes and onions.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We wanted to remember this moment - lovely surface and surroundings - all to ourselves.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We wanted to remember this section too. The surface can be quite varied from potholes to mud to good pavement to sand. We are grateful that there hasn't been much rain recently.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
After riding for some time in the country, we are back riding along an arm of the Danube. These docks are set up for fishing - a popular pass time.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Not sure what this means - will look it up later.
Heart 0 Comment 0
What a good place for a picnic lunch.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Many bikes on the bridge for the fishers below.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

The Palace, Prince Eugene's hunting lodge, has been converted to a Hotel and Restaurant. We are interested to learn that it is modelled on the Belvedere Palace (also owned by the same Prince Eugene of Vienna) that we toured while in Vienna. Very few people were staying here so we were given a choice of rooms. The room is very quiet as it has two sections (bath and bedroom) with huge heavy doors separating them from the hall. The architectural details, high ceilings and fabulous windows made it an interesting place to stay.

We haven't stayed in a Palace yet, so this will be the night! Prince Eugene's Palace in Racheve.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our digs for the night. They had put up the flags in honour of the 23rd of October.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 45 km (28 miles)
Total: 3,544 km (2,201 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0