Summing Up - What It Cost - Grampies Go To England and France Fall 2022 - CycleBlaze

November 28, 2022

Summing Up - What It Cost

Day by day Dodie uses a little book to record what we are spending, in broad categories. We pay no attention to the little book, rather spending what feels right, feels necessary for mental health, or is necessary for (mostly rail) transport or repairs. Only when we come home does the little book come out, and then we say "Whaaa?".

This time around, honestly, the total cost seems quite significant in our retiree's budget. Even when we were camping, airfare, insurance, and food were not exactly cheap, but at least we could say things like "Even at home we would still have to eat, right?"  But now, staying in hotels, we are still maintaining our place at home, and hotels are costly.

Despite all this, we used to think that the daily cost for us in touring should be about 100 euros a day (not including airfare or insurance). Then we bumped it to 120 euros. Last Spring, it came out to 125.  But this time?  It was 129.

That 129, it must be said, was comprised of 140 for England and 119 for France. England? Dammit, we knew there was a problem about England!

It's tempting to finger hotel costs in England for the higher cost, but there was a really wide range of hotel cost for us in both countries and anyway it's confounded by whether breakfast was included or not. When breakfast was included, food cost for the whole day would be dramatically cut, but hotel cost could be higher.

Generally, just eyeballing the whole range of hotel fees paid but not actually doing the arithmetic (because of the breakfast included glitch) we would put a typical cost at 110 euros (with some sort of breakfast typically included). Does that mean that in France, for example, we would typically spend on average only 10 more euros for a day? Yes, guess so.

Looking at food costs, we would normally stick to bakeries or grocery stores. In a grocery store, coming out having spent 15 euros would be normal, and the pile of food would feel large. But in restaurants? 40, 50, 60 euros would be typical! In France, the common  "Plat du Jour", formerly known to us as 14 euros was now 22 euros! (That's each, eh!).

Other European cycle tourists - do these numbers sound right or whacked out to you?

The other costs of the tour are the ones that do not closely depend on the number of days - airfare and health insurance. Airfare for us was about the same, compared to the Spring, and health insurance also. Yet these two seem a lot higher than in pre Covid times. 

Certainly, as we get older, the health insurance people seem more skeptical about us. They ask more medical questions, want to sell us policies individually rather than as a family, do not want to sell 90 day trip one year policies, and so forth. We understand, we are skeptical as well! But health insurance figures as a fairly major expense. This is also a barrier should we go for a long stay visa. Europe does not want to get stuck with our health care costs should we decide to collapse on the trail.

Taking England and France together, and including airfare and insurance in the mix, here is how the costs of the trip broke down:

Wow, look at the whopping share taken by hotels!
Heart 0 Comment 0

If we put airfare and insurance aside, and look at the costs just for France, here is what we get:

71% hotels! OK, that figures, with airfare and insurance out of the picture. But it does show that we are not spending on restaurant meals, on museums or tours, on bicycle rental or storage, on souvenirs, or on excessive train travel ("transport"). It seems all we want to do is to pedal our bikes and have a place to sleep. Too bad about not camping- camping would make the trips really cheap (except that in shoulder seasons camping is largely closed). Just can't win, and anyway, we love those fluffy quilts and yummy breakfasts!
Heart 0 Comment 0

With costs like 120 euros per day, extended cycle touring in Europe might seem untenable for sort of average North America retirees. But is it? That daily cost works up to $CAN 60,000 per year. $60,000 is a believable retirement income, and if not, one can also burn up some savings. So it could be possible to tour in Europe all year long, at least in terms of money, if not strength or interest. The trick would be to not be paying for heat, insurance, maintenance on a house or car(s)  back home. This is all an area that the Andersons would be better qualified to speak to than us. Our model right now is to tour about half the year, while keeping the house and car(s) going as well.

Finances aside, we still have lots of ideas for places to tour. We have now also forgotten enough places that we can go around for another shot at them. So we'll be out there. Watch for us!

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 14
Patrick O'HaraI was anticipating the end of tour pie charts! One of my favorite additions of the Grampie's tours. I was starting to wonder if I'd ever see them again!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Sandra LawnVery useful information Thankyou

As you know you can’t put a price on all the fantastic places you visited, the experiences and the random people you met…..priceless….but good to know post Covid Europe costs


Bakery…….priceless……loved all the bakery photos and your choices…….eating bakery items ……priceless

Look forward to your future tours

Sandy
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonThis doesn’t look unreasonable to me. We’ve not kept track of expenses for a long time, but I’m pretty sure our own expenditures are higher than this, especially in the food category. There’s no doubt we’ve gotten more casual in our spending since going vagabond. I’m pretty sure it’s still less expensive for us to travel in Europe than it was to maintain our home in Portland though.

If we still had a home we wouldn’t be traveling nearly as extensively of course. Back then we were starting to feel like it was too extravagant after being on the road for even six weeks.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Suzanne GibsonThose numbers sound right to me. We see that prices for hotels have gone way up since Covid. Fortunately, we have neither air fare nor additional health insurance to burden the budget. We do spend more than you in restaurants, though, which are much more costly in France than in Germany.

Looking forward to reading where you will be touring next!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Keith AdamsMy very wise older brother pointed out that "Money is better spent on having experiences, than on things." You can't take it with you so, assuming you've been careful enough to shepherd your resources to cover known and likely future expenses, whatever's left is fair game for having those experiences.

In my 33 days on the road this past summer my breakdown by category (credit card charges only; things paid for with cash are not included) was:
* Merchandise: 19%
* Lodging: 27% (several nights of camping at $10-$15/night are not included here; also omitted are the cash donations made to various hostels)
* Dining, snacks: 25%
* Airfare: 11%
* Other services: 7%
* "Other travel": 6%
* "Other": 3%

I never took a train or rode a bus, so my "Transportation" was zero.

The "Other Travel" category covers a substantial FedEx charge for getting two spare/replacement tires sent from home to where I was stranded in Idaho, in a time of need.

This summary also excludes the expenses incurred during a side trip to Bozeman, MT to attend a family event. Although it's true that I'd not have made that trip had I not been in the general vicinity at the time of the event it's not (in my mind) really a tour-related expense.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Keith ClassenFor comparison purposes our 52 day tour of Portugal/Spain totalled approximately 156 euros per day comprised of 110 euros for accommodation, 39 euros per day for food and beverages, and 7 euros per day for miscellaneous. Figures do not include airfare, insurance, cell phone plans. Breakfasts were included in the hotel costs for over 90% of the time. Do remember we do have the odd beer or glass of wine unlike the clean living Grampies!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Keith ClassenIt's gratifying to see your figures basically jiving with ours. I suspect that "ordinary" tourists would have similar figures, although they need to pay for city to city transport, and not having cycling to occupy their time, would be squandering money in museums, and possibly shopping.

Something to consider, cycle tourists need time to get anywhere, and therefore I suppose their trip lengths will be longer on average. That would possibly establish cycle tourists as a high total spending category. That's at odds with our possible image as low budget transients trudging up hills along the roadsides in the rain. The thing is, I rather prefer that latter image!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Keith AdamsHmm, your percentages differ from ours quite a bit. Maybe accommodation is cheaper is the States, airfare is less than for trying to get overseas, and health insurance would not figure for you as an extra expense. How much in dollars do you think it cost for accommodation, and for food?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Suzanne GibsonYes, the French clearly keep thin through their skimpy yet costly restaurant meals.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Sandra LawnThe blog sort of cuts the cost, because with it we can go back and remember stuff, without charge.

Speaking of going back, from the safety of home, England is looking way more quaint and attractive!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Keith AdamsTo Steve Miller/GrampiesMany (about half) of my nights were in campgrounds or RV parks (Forest Service campgrounds run $15-20/night and the hiker biker campsite in Yellowstone was under $10) and a few more were in low cost hostels.

Airfare was one way from Cody to Dulles.

No insurance cost, as you noted, since I was strictly on domestic soil.

Lodging and food were each in the $1,300 to $1,500 range for the month. I can't say for certain because my accounting only covered credit card charges and most camping was paid for in cash. Most meals got charged as did most groceries but there were some cash transactions as well.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Paul PowerCongratulations to you both for your amazing trip. Enjoy reading about it, although I'm hoping to enjoy a deeper read over Christmas when we get a break from the bike shop.

We still talk about you both as the inspirational couple who brightened our otherwise foul-weather day when you visited us with bike problems.

Best wishes to you both,
Paul and Brian
The Dutch Bike Shop.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Steve Miller/GrampiesI was interested to read this comment. Our experience in Britain was quite different than yours, of course. We loved Britain and definitely hope to go back. If you do return you should try to stay further away from London. The further away we were from the big cities, the better the experience.

Of course distance from London won’t help with the full English breakfasts. Personally I thought they were great, but then I can’t taste or smell.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Scott AndersonNo need to fear any future English breakfasts, we are NEVER going back there, ever.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago