Day 1: Cobble Hill to Richmond - Grampies Go To England and France Fall 2022 - CycleBlaze

September 7, 2022

Day 1: Cobble Hill to Richmond

Heart 0 Comment 0

We got up just before dawn, based on our calculation about how long it would take to shut down the house and pedal the 15 km to our first ferry.  With all our planning, there was one small aspect of "before dawn" that had eluded us: No light! We hastily strapped on some red flashers, but actually by the time we  rolled away it was light.

We had conceived this trip and done our planning pretty much in isolation, drawing support mainly from friends on Cycleblaze. So it was unexpected and very welcome when we arrived at the ferry terminal, to find other touring cyclists already stacked up. The customary exchange of where are you going, where are you coming from, oh, where did you get this piece of gear, etc. etc. ensued, and we were happy to participate. 

A highlight for Dodie of the planned England route is going to be Shrewsbury, setting for the Brother Cadfael mysteries.  So it was specially nice that one of the cyclists, Ruth, was actually from Shrewsbury, though now she lives in B.C.  Ruth also said she would like to stay in email touch, since we seemed to be a good source of cycle touring information. This is strange, because on all previous tours we have printed up sort of a business card with our contact or blog info, but we have found fewer than 1% of people who get one ever make any sort of later contact. So this time, we said forget it. No matter, there is always the notepad and pen.

Waiting for the Mill Bay ferry
Heart 1 Comment 0
Ruth from Shrewsbury
Heart 5 Comment 0

Another cyclist in the line was Darcy, from Duncan, and fully loaded for a trip to Galiano Island. Darcy asked about the route to the Swartz Bay ferry terminal, and we were happy not only to be able to describe it, but to show him the track in our phone. As it happened, since Darcy had loaded up with 60 pounds of gear, he was not dramatically faster than us, and so we cycled over there together.

Darcy and Dodie push up a hill on the way to the ferry
Heart 1 Comment 0

Once again, waiting for the next ferry (to Tsawwassen) there were more cyclists, and more of the usual questions and answers.  So cool.

Our bikes are with the giant trucks but do have some of their own kind for company.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Keith AdamsHuh. In 33 days on the road I think I saw exactly *one* other Friday. Here you show two besides your own, within a few miles of setting off.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

The other cyclists, and us, and most Cycleblaze bloggers that ever depart from this B.C. coast say "Why are we leaving this gorgeous place?" Today was no different, and anyone can see, it is gorgeous.

Beautiful British Columbia
Heart 5 Comment 1
Kathleen ClassenWe say that every time we leave!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

Another common and expected thing for this part of the trip is the food offered on BC Ferries. Well, there is something new about it - the prices are higher. The photo below shows a $31 value. The little piece of chicken in there did turn out to be fairly edible.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Bonus! Dodie found these socks for me in the gift shop.
Heart 2 Comment 0

It is not really hard to get from our place to the Vancouver airport, but there is one unpassable barrier - the Massey Tunnel. Unless one can handle a 50 km detour, its necessary to take a bus through. The bus is called the 620, and it goes from the Tsawwassen ferry terminal to the Bridgeport Station, almost at the airport. The 620 is the point of worry for the trip. Not only is it often crowded, but there is the bike rack, for just two bikes, on the front of the bus. 

Each time we use the 620, we have to figure out that bike rack. Actually each time  a friendly and helpful bus driver has given some hints and also patiently waited for the bikes to go on. After that, they sway alarmingly, especially since those same drivers charge around corners like cowboys, but it's always ok.

We hope the bikes stay on there!
Heart 3 Comment 4
Kathleen ClassenHave you ever used the shuttle at the tunnel? We really like it. Only trouble is that it is only available at rush hour in the winter. It runs all day in the summer.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Kathleen Classenhttps://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/transportation/driving-and-cycling/cycling/cycling-regulations-restrictions-rules/george-massey-shuttle
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonI can’t believe now that I biked through this tunnel one night back in 1987 - probably the scariest cycling experience of my life.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jacquie GaudetThis year there's also a pilot "bike bus" that takes 9 bikes and 18 passengers (I think) from the Tsawwassen terminal to Bridgeport station. Only on Fridays and weekends, unfortunately. I haven't tried it yet as it was a fantastic day for cycling the day I rode home from Victoria last month.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
All our bags are inside the bus
Heart 1 Comment 0

From Bridgeport we put all the bags and gear back on the bikes, and pedaled the 6 km or so to Vickie's Bed and Breakfast.  We chose not to try to make it to Vancouver and onto the plane in a single day, because of all the rearranging that has to go on to convert from cycling to flying mode. So at Vickie's much of the rearranging will calmly happen, and then Vickie's partner  Patrick, will drive us over to the airport in his pickup tomorrow. 

Dodie is currently doing that calm conversion, and so far things are going well. I think she has mentally juggled the pieces so much in the last weeks that it is all very clear to her. That's good, because I have no clue!

Dodie has this under control, we hope!
Heart 4 Comment 0

Today's ride: 38 km (24 miles)
Total: 38 km (24 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 13
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Sue PriceBon voyage, and what a momentous time to be heading to England!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Angela NaefWe met on a Vancouver Island ferry in July 2019, got your details, and have been following along since then. So….. maybe the people you have met are just stealthy followers! Hope you have a great trip!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago