A waiting game; 20th March - Japan, Kyushu — testing the waters - CycleBlaze

March 20, 2024

A waiting game; 20th March

went to the ferry terminal first thing in the morning. Unfortunately the wind was very strong, which meant the ferry was suspended until it calmed down. 

We returned to Shirahama Beach Hotel again and soaked there for a few hours. On leaving the hotel, I turned round to see the porter from the previous night. I waved, and he didn’t seem to recognise me. When MayLyn turned round and waved too, I think it clicked who we were and he gave a cheery wave back. How it stays open is a mystery to me, with so few customers. 

We returned to the ferry and there was still no news as to if it would run that day. We decided  to get okonomiyaki from a nearby restaurant. 

The place was very retro. It didn’t seem to have been updated since the 80’s. Dark wood panelling, and stained glass lampshades abound. The okonomiyaki was very good. 

Returned to the ferry and it turned out a ferry had just left as we approached! The ferry attendant couldn’t confirm that it would run again, but I was fairly confident it would. 

Finally got on the ferry 30 mins later. 

Hotel sunset
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hotel sunset overlooks the beach
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Old style menu at the okonomiyaki place
Heart 0 Comment 0
The owner also collected old coins!
Heart 0 Comment 0

On the other side we cycled to an onsen, bathed there, and pitched our tent outside a community swimming pool after dark. 

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0