Lauder to Hyde: The storm defeats us - Kiwis enjoying cycling in their own land - CycleBlaze

March 11, 2012

Lauder to Hyde: The storm defeats us

Today was our longest day. It was to be 92km from Lauder to Hyde. Doesn't sound much but I am not cycle fit and in this section the track is very rough in parts. That would have all been OK but in the afternoon the weather turned and there was a massive SE storm with gale force head winds at times and driving rain. In this dry country the track turned to a river and our brakes filled with sandy mud. The temperature had fallen and we were shivering uncontrollably even when riding. But then about 12km before the end just when the trail touched the road along came our knight in shinning armour in the form of Kens brother Fred with his truck. We were not too proud to chuck our bikes in the back and get a ride to the roaring fire in the wonderful old Central Otago Hotel at Hyde.

That sounds as if it was a terrible day but it wasn't. In the morning although a bit drizzly at times the weather was good for riding and we were going through the most spectacular countryside, with viaducts and tunnels. It is in this area that they are filming parts of the Hobbit. I will let the photos show the story. Unfortunately there are no photos after Ranfurly as all our energy went into fighting the weather.

We stayed at this historic pub in Lauder
Heart 0 Comment 0
Approaching the tunnels
Heart 0 Comment 0
A long tunnel with a bend in the middle. It is pitch black and our torch was useless
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The viaducts are magnificent - the background is Hobbit country
Heart 0 Comment 0
Yes we did see old tractors and ken is not pleased that I have censored nearly all of them out
Heart 0 Comment 0
The amazing old store at Oturehua
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Not long after this the storm hit
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 80 km (50 miles)
Total: 164 km (102 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0