Day 41: Downward - Of Kasbahs and Kilts - CycleBlaze

July 25, 2015

Day 41: Downward

On October 14, 1939 a German U-Boat slithered through the narrow passage of the Orkney Islands to a harbor called Scapa Flow and sunk a British Battle ship called the Royal Oak. 833 men were killed and the U-Boat got away.

The British decided to tighten defenses as a result and built a series of causeways. Not only did it keep the U-Boats out but it allowed us to island hop without the aid of a ferry.

But Scapa Flow is important for another, more personal, reason. Leo's father served in the Navy during the war guarding convoys and spent much of his time in this area. In fact he mentioned Scapa Flow specifically to Leo. That made the whole experience more meaningful, especially for Leo.

We rode our way to Burwick and the ferry to John O'Groats with all these things in mind. Especially when we stopped at the Italian chapel. It was built by Italian prisoners of war who were made to help build the defenses to keep out the U-Boats. But when the Italians switched over to the Allied side they were kept on the islands, but paid for their work.

All in all this area is chocked full of interesting history.

The weather cooperated nicely as well, though it was still a bit cold for this California Girl.

One of the more interesting things we ran across was sheep being sheared right by the side of the road! Though it didn't look like the sheep were enjoying it much.

All in all it was a nice day.

Still, I feel sad. My trip is almost over.

The story of the Royal Oak sinking
Heart 0 Comment 0
Thanks, Winston!
Heart 0 Comment 0

We weren't alone out there
Heart 0 Comment 0
Italian Chapel
Heart 0 Comment 0
Inside the Italian Chapel...
Heart 0 Comment 0
...the alter
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Italian Flag
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking south towards the mainland
Heart 0 Comment 0
Summer in Scotland
Heart 0 Comment 0
These islands have a lot of interesting things
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 33 miles (53 km)
Total: 1,699 miles (2,734 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0