Day 42: Not yet goodbye, but close - Of Kasbahs and Kilts - CycleBlaze

July 26, 2015

Day 42: Not yet goodbye, but close

Aside from the fact I feel sad that today is our last day of the trip it was a lovely day. The weather cooperated nicely and the coastal road, that we expected to be busy, was quiet and pleasant with several interesting surprises.

Once again we ran historical site and monuments, none of which we were expecting. One was a set of statues that looked like they were erected as a personal monument to victims of The Great War. They were so discrete, in a nondescript stretch of road, that we almost passed by without noticing. But notice we did and we found them quite touching (see pic below). I wonder if they were put up by a grieving family back in the day?

The coast in this area seems to have been inhabited since the beginning of recorded time and again I wondered what life was like back then.

We ended up in Wick, our last town, which we only ended up in because that is where we board the train south. But we also had arranged to meet Vikki and Russell. You remember Vikki and Russell the hikers don't you? We we met them and had the most fabulous dinner together! Great food and company. I must say, it was the grandest of grand finales!

Now where should I go?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The ferry we rode on yesterday, from The Orkneys
Heart 0 Comment 0
We are not going anywhere until I figure out where I left my bike!
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of the statues on it's own on the side of the road. It looked like a personal memorial independent of the government.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Handyman's delight steps from the sea
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Leo searching for Norway
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our last town together :-(
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 22 miles (35 km)
Total: 1,721 miles (2,770 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0