Day 30: Border crossings - Of Kasbahs and Kilts - CycleBlaze

July 14, 2015

Day 30: Border crossings

Heart 0 Comment 0

We made it to Scotland! Not right away, of course. There was a little matter of crossing a causeway without getting swallowed up by the sea, and then going up and down hills and riding through muck. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

Luckily last night's rain eased by the time it was time to pack up this morning. Then we headed to Lindisfarne, which is an Island in high tide and connected by a causeway that is underwater much of the time.

Steph checked the tide tables and we got up and out early in order to make it across without, you know, drowning. Because drowning would be unpleasant.

Lindisfarne also has a castle and a monastery that, I learned today, has a bit of a pilgrimage tradition, sort of like the Camino de Santiago where I rode in Spain, but on a much smaller scale. The Monastery was on a beautiful site that God certainly would have approved of.

After Lindisfarne we continued north. The day, and weather, turned beautiful as we headed over the border to Scotland. So far its a beautiful part of the world. And, I have noticed, Scotland seems to be a neat and tidy place. Very well kept up.

We ended the day in Dunbar which happens to be the birthplace of John Muir, who every American, or at least every Californian, should know. He made his way to America and instigated the creation of many national parks. In fact, there is a John Muir trail in the mountain's in California.

Making our way over the causeway
Heart 0 Comment 0
They set up these huts on stilts in case you screw up on the tides and get caught underwater. I am glad we didn't get a flat tire!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The old castle
Heart 0 Comment 0
Steph sees some barbarians ready to attack!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking at the old monastery with one of the locals
Heart 1 Comment 0
Hmmm?
Heart 0 Comment 0
This part of the world has a network of citizen lifeboat rescue crews. It's similar to the coast guard but all privately manned and funded and on a much smaller scale. Here is a list of rescues from the Holy Island contingency.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heading back to the mainland, and cup of tea.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This was set up off road on the route that hikers take to the island. Sure am glad we are on bikes!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heading north again along the coast. No roads in some places.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Berwick upon Tweed. Our last big town before Scotland!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Help wanted
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Scotland, and new money (sort of). WOOO-HOOOO!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Scottish coast near where we camped.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hilly Scotland
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Not only is this the birthplace of John Muir but it is sister (twin) city of Martinez, which is just down the road from me! It's a two-fer.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 53 miles (85 km)
Total: 1,241 miles (1,997 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0