Day 25: England again - Of Kasbahs and Kilts - CycleBlaze

July 8, 2015

Day 25: England again

We are out of Wales and heading east, today to the town of Chester. On the way, in a tiny village just outside Chester, Leo learned of a WWII era plane located in a thicket of trees. How it got there is a mystery.

It was pretty cool though. Its funny how an airplane that you practically need a machete to get to can be more interesting than an authentic museum piece. But this was the real deal, they don't get much more real deal as a matter of fact.

Chester is an interesting town too. We arrived early enough for a walking tour. The only one left was about Chester in Roman times, and our Roman Soldier guide was terrific. His non Roman soldier name is Brian and he is America born (from Chicago) and getting his Ph.D in (something like) Roman history.

We learned a lot about the town in Roman times and also about life as a Roman soldier at that time. Good stuff.

We also drank more tea, but that is a given.

We are running behind so tomorrow we are going to take a train a little ways through the urban areas of Manchester. I will see you on the other side.....of Manchester that is.



Part of airplane in overgrown woods
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another shot of the wing. Sorry about the glare. Camera angle options were not plentiful here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Landing gear
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Common building style in Chester
Heart 0 Comment 0
Street musicians in Chester
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Phone booths are rare now because of cell phones. I guess they have a new use for them now.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Look closely. Steph noticed this one. It doesnt say no cycling, it says no cyclists. Hmm? Does that mean I cant walk in either?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Tour guide Brain, a.k.a. Roman soldier. He was an outstanding guide.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Out of Wales and back in England
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 41 miles (66 km)
Total: 875 miles (1,408 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0