York, PA to Freeland, Maryland and Back - The J Trail - CycleBlaze

October 11, 2020

York, PA to Freeland, Maryland and Back

Roundtrip on the York County Heritage Trail

Hurricane Delta had hit the Louisiana Gulf Coast earlier in the week. Now, all of its remaining moisture was headed our way and bringing with it an end to a great run of warm and dry fall weather.  Since the weather forecast was for rain to come later on today, it was crucial to get a very early start and to leave some of my load in the hotel. I needed to make better time following Route J all the way to its Southern Terminus and back before the deluge hits the area.  

For 5-6 miles, on Eastern Boulevard and SR-462, I rode back to the Colonial Complex in York, where the York County Heritage Trail (YCHT) access point is located.   

Route 462, in York, is very calm on a Sunday morning.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Upon reaching the Colonial Complex, I found myself in the midst of the marathon, which started early, for weather and social distancing purposes.  Unknowingly, I rode right through the electronic finish line and received a mildly annoyed look from one of the race volunteers.  I would be sure to avoid that area on my way back.  Once on the trail, the runners and walkers were relatively spread out and at many times, I was alone.

The York County Heritage Trail (YCHT).
Heart 0 Comment 0

At other times, I would encounter solitary runners or very small groups of runners and/or walkers hanging together.  Everyone was friendly, especially the rest stop and water stop volunteers who cheered me on, as if I were one of the runners. 

This went on down to about milepost 8, in the Southern portion of the YCHT.  One tall and lean Asian runner was moving almost as fast on foot as I could pedal!  I complimented him on his pace and he smiled.

The marathon runners were well spread out along the trail.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The York County Heritage Trail (YCHT) runs from Downtown York to the Mason and Dixon Line.  From there, the trail continues by different names to Cockeysville, Maryland, a suburb of Baltimore.  

Back in March of 1992, a small group of we fledgeling trail builders, from Pittsburgh, took a trip down to Gunpowder Falls State Park. There we got a personalized bicycle tour of the relatively new trail (back then) from a park ranger named Dave.  It got cold and snowed but Dave toughed it out with a baseball cap and what appeared to be a thin green ranger's jacket. He gave us a thorough and first class tour.  Thanks again, Ranger Dave!  

In Maryland (as well as in PA), at that time, the trail was called the North Central, after the rail line that once ran there.  Below are a few photos from that trip in March of 1992.

A collage of photos from our group trip to the North Central Trail, as it was called in 1992.
Heart 0 Comment 0

From York, the trail roughly follows Codurus Creek most of the way to Maryland.  The creek does not look very nice near the city but its "portrait" improves significantly the further South one travels.  The trail runs nearly parallel to SR-616 for most of its course, as well.  At times, the road is visible and at others it is not.

The not very photogenic Codurus Creek, near York, PA. The creek runs alongside the trail for most of its course.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The YCHT is also the J Trail all the way to the state line.  Along the way, it runs with mostly unused railroad tracks. There are quite a few non-marathon affiliated trail users, spread out along its length.  The communities of Hanover Junction, Seven Valleys,  New Salem, Spring Grove, Glen Rock, Railroad, and New Freedom are either on the path of the trail or very close by.

Historical monument in Glen Rock, PA. If Phil was there somewhere, I'd think I was in Punxsutawney.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Since Autumn was coming on and the day was relatively warm, there were some beautiful spots and some folks out enjoying the trail on foot, on bicycles, and a few on horseback.   Most of the people encountered were friendly.  The landscape varied somewhat from wooded to open agricultural areas, and there was an attractive stone tunnel along the way.

Another view of the trail, near the Seven Valleys area.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A couple rides the trail in a more open and agricultural area.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Former railroad tunnel along the trail.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The community of New Freedom lies near the Southern end of the trail (in Pennsylvania).  It ended up being a bit larger than I expected. It seemed to be taking advantage of its railroad history and its position along the trail.  People were out and about, an old locomotive was on the tracks and running, and there was a cafe where patrons were eating outside. You could go in to order something and either eat inside or at outside picnic tables located adjacent to the establishment.  I chose that last option. The place to was clean, the staff friendly, and the aroma of good food being prepared got me in the mood to dine.  I definitely recommend checking out the New Freedom Cafe if you are in town.

New Freedom Cafe.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Train on the tracks near New Freedom, PA.
Heart 0 Comment 0

A small "rest area" and an adjacent childrens' park lie at the state line.  At first, I didn't realize I had crossed the Mason and Dixon Line until I spoke with a couple who told me I was in Maryland.  I continued on until reaching the entrance to Gunpowder Falls State Park (GFSP - Maryland), where I turned around and headed back.  As was mentioned above, I had ridden through GFSP once before.  If you have the time, take a ride through it.  The area near Monkton is especially beautiful.

The Pennsylvania-Maryland state line and the J trail sign, signifying its beginning or end, depending upon your point of view.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The entrance to Gunpowder Falls State Park, near Freeland, Maryland. This is where I turned around, a few miles to the South of the state border.
Heart 0 Comment 0

On the way back, in many ways it was more of the same but a thoroughly enjoyable time.   I briefly rode on some adjacent roadways and SR-616 to get another perspective of the area.  Traffic was not too bad but they do drive fast out there in the countryside.

A view of the trail from an overlooking road in Southern York County, PA.
Heart 0 Comment 0

More marathoners, many finishng up their race, were encountered as I returned to the city.  I got off the trail before its terminus in the Colonial Park because that is where the marathoners were finishing up. By doing so, I dodged the motorized traffic as well by riding through town in designated alleyways and on East King Street, which had a bike lane.  

This work of art, along with a few others, appeared along the trail.
Heart 0 Comment 0

I got back to my lodging place, beating the rain and had dinner with some relatives that evening.  The First Post Restaurant, on SR-462 in East York is another good stop. It is a nice place and reasonably priced if you find yourself in need of a civilized meal.  They took appropriate precautions during the pandemic.

Today's ride: 54 miles (87 km)
Total: 90 miles (145 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0