Wild Camping at Nopporu Sports Park In Ebetsu - Six wheels through Japan - CycleBlaze

June 23, 2023

Wild Camping at Nopporu Sports Park In Ebetsu

  1. Heart 0 Comment 0

    Our stay at Cosy Penguin House in Sungawa has been underwhelming. We don’t recommend it. On paper it sounds good, but the reality is the she runs  a few of these in Bibai and Sunagawa, and stays elsewhere. Her daughter is there but unavailable  to us. There is one toilet for the complete property of 5 rooms,the family type shower room could be cleaned up, etc. To make matters worse we feel like she overcharged us, but we have no way of rectifying that. Emails have proven fruitless, so we’ll move on. 

    CaptionCutAdd line aboveAdd line belowDelete
The living room/eating area is a bit strange… a wee couch jammed into a corner and a treadmill for some reason. That’s it for furniture.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Bedroom was ok..no closet, hangers, bedside light. Have I complained enough. It is offensive to feel take advantage of.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We wondered why this farm silo has the Canadian and American flags alongside the Japanese one.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our ride is taking us through a rural area with rice fields and cattle farms.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And then we come upon this man made pond with a few pleasure boats for hire. It was a bit bizarre to find this with no signage. Nonetheless, a good place for lunch.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We don’t understand why we see what we assume to be local politicians on posters in every community. There must have been an election. We do feel like we get to know these fellows as their billboards are frequently placed along the road.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Barry finally figured out why these metal containers are by most driveways. It is for garbage and it probably deters foxes from making a mess.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The headwinds are brutal today. We decided to try to avoid 50 Km of highway riding so we are riding on parallel roads through the farms. The downside is that we are fighting to keep moving as there is nothing to block the wind.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We figured out that the excavator is part of a job to create new rice fields for this farm.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Irrigation for the rice fields.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The distinctive roof lines of Hokkaido….imagine this helps protect the house with the heavy winds and snowfall here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another recently created bed…we think it is for rice
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We were riding through a massive agricultural region with miles of rice fields with the occasional fields of leeks and green onions.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The wind is coming directly across the road. It is funny that the shape of the poles suggest that they are bent by the wind, but we suspect they are fashioned this way to handle the ever present wind.
Heart 0 Comment 0
When we think of Hokkaido, we will remember the beautiful flowers that are nurtured and planted as well as the wild self planted flowers like these.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rice ready to harvest
Heart 0 Comment 0
We are finally approaching the city of Ebetsu where we hope to camp tonight.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We must go under to get through to the road which will take us into the city.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We pulled over to figure out the best way to get to Norporro Park where we hope to camp tonight. A woman (behind Barry) came running from her house determined to offer her assistance. She then phoned her daughter who drove over from her home to help as well.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The decision was that the mom would ride with us to a starting point and her daughter would drive as well. They didn’t like the looks of the route on google maps.
Heart 0 Comment 0
When we reached the bridge, she gave me a wonderful bear hug and bid us farewell. What a delightful woman who would not be deterred from helping us. She, her daughter and granddaughter made such an impression on us.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We had no difficulty finding the park, but the Forest Campground is another story. We got within a short distance of the campground but we couldn’t find it. We asked some locals and they didn’t know how to access it so we decided to wild camp. Once we found a location with a bathroom, we got busy. Time to set up camp. And this is why we love to travel with a tent as you always have a place to sleep, no matter how crazy your day has been.

Today's ride: 76 km (47 miles)
Total: 2,093 km (1,300 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltYes, it's very helpful to have a tent for the option of camping! Especially wild, free camping! :)
Reply to this comment
9 months ago