Up into the Mountains - Six wheels through Japan - CycleBlaze

June 12, 2023

Up into the Mountains

…to Yubari

Our initial plan for a route was to head north out of Sapporo and ride to Furano, the home of the beautiful flower fields, the must see town of Biei, and the northern city of Asahikiwa. However, when I explained our planned route to the fellow who helped buy us our tent he excitedly told us about his favourite route to Furano.  He said that he loved to ride his recumbent bike on the cycle road from  Sappora to Kitahiroshima and then ride to Yubari in the mountains. From Yubari to Furano was 100 kilometres of outstanding riding through the mountains. He promised that we would see lots of wildlife. However, there would be no services for 100 kilometres and no convenience stores until we got to Furano. Well, we decided to give a good try and head for the mountains.

Our new route from Sapporo to Asahikawa. Thanks to Katsuo at Shugakuso Outdoor Store.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our food pickings were slim, but we did ok with the campground’s store. We already had this yummy apple pound cake and the peanut butter.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Nothing is far away on Hokkaido…we are centrally positioned.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We know that we often overpack, but it was fascinating watching our neighbour pack and then somehow get it all on his motorbike. Huge canvas tent, chairs, a table, etc…everything but the kitchen sink.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Barry has found a clever way to lift the back end of our trikes to clean/oil the chains and generally service our trikes.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
The campground was excellent, lots of trees and great amenities. Best of all we got 1/2 price for the community onsen across the road. The hot springs onsen was amazing. The women’s and men’s baths each had about five different pools of various temperatures, a sauna, jacuzzi and a wonderful outdoor bath. When we were finished we were sitting in a common lounge area enjoying ice cream cones when an earthquake started shaking the building. Some people looked worried, including ourselves, while other people calmly carried on reading or eating. We later read on Yahoo News that a 6.2 earthquake took in northern Hokkaido.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Hokkaido has a different convenience store and their hot food is prepared fresh….quite good. No place to eat inside, but a curb will do.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Only in Hokkaido, special soft serve ice cream for the summer months.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Seicomart is a good addition to the collection of convenience stores we visit. Each one has items they are known for.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We met this couple and had a visit. They helped us clarify how to get to Yubari.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltI like the cyclists matching colored socks with their jerseys. :)
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
The rural landscape with the clouds, hills in the distance and the strong winds are striking. People are working in solitude working the rice fields by hand.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The ever present clouds add to the rugged beauty we see.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Most roads are lined with these beautiful colours
Heart 2 Comment 0
We had a few things to mail home, primarily to make space for our camping gear, but also to keep the load as light as we can. We were in the town of Kuriyama and saw the Post Office, so we gave it a try. Kensuke, the young man and Michiru were incredibly helpful and made the process go smoothly. Thank you to both of you.
Heart 1 Comment 0
They kindly gave us a Japan Post Van dispenser for Kleenex as a gift. We took so much of their time, we thought we should have given them a gift. Thanks again to the team at the Kurioyama Tsubitate Post Office for helping us get through the needed paperwork to get the parcel shipped.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Loved this image
Heart 2 Comment 0
Yes, we have been climbing bit by bit….this is ski country.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We are beginning to recognize that Hokkaido is an island of flowers.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Yes, we see you too. After this he quickly jumped away and joined about 7 others who were well camouflaged in the tall growth.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
We are fascinated by the lush vegetation and the incredible growth we see.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
A long tunnel that will hopefully stop the climbing. We have been climbing for several Km.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This region is renowned for their award winning canteloupe and it is shipped all over the world. It is known as Yubari Melon, must be grown in this community and it is the most expensive cantaloupe sold. A historic high price of 5 million yen ($45,000) for 2 melons holds the record. Generally the price is $40 to $60 per melon.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltWow - - that's incredibly expensive canteloupe!!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Climbing is not quite over. This road cover for snow reminds us that it is ski country.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We were planning not to camp tonight, and checked out the Business Hotel in Yubari. Oh boy, we just couldn’t do it. It was so dirty, old and smelled so bad we bid a hasty retreat. On a chance, we rode south of town to the Yubari Forest Youth Hostel. What a find….we are staying for sure. It is a bonus that Mochi and her lamb live here too.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The lamb has a nice coat for the cooler climate here.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltLambs on a leash! :)
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Mochi and her lamb are determined to get more greens. We are looking forward to our stay here. The hostel is a lovely log building with charming details, a traditional bath and set in a pretty setting. It may rain tonight and tomorrow. Perhaps we’ll stay a bit longer. We are both suffering from a bad case of allergies and not feeling 100%. see what tomorrow brings.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltThat IS a nice looking hostel! I like the log cabin look. :)
Reply to this comment
9 months ago

Today's ride: 51 km (32 miles)
Total: 1,694 km (1,052 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0