Otaru to Sapporo - Six wheels through Japan - CycleBlaze

June 8, 2023

Otaru to Sapporo

It is always a delight when a place that holds no expectations, becomes a special memory. Otaru was just such a place as our reason for being there was due to it being the port where our ferry landed. 

Plum House is clearly a labour of love. The couple who own it have taken great care to create a special place. This is one of the common spaces.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Another gathering area with a deck overlooking the garden. We admired the lovely woodwork throughout, the attention to detail and the serenity of the space.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This painting features the flower covered fields of Furano on Hokkaido. It caught our eye as we are going there and the painting is just like the photos we have seen.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Details like this at the end of the hall by our room are touches that make this place special.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Our room was small but functional with a small kitchenette, tiny full bathroom and a garden out our door.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The garden at Plum House is quite lovely and it’s lush growth is typical of what we know of Hokkaido.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our host speaks no English but, like us, he functions well with Google translate.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We think this liquor store has been around for decades. It was interesting to see a delivery of casks of sake and beer.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Barry is game to try anything, but looks can be deceiving as well as the nice packaging.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This treat however, never disappoints. The large assortment of packaged sweet treats at Convenience Stores are inexpensive and are usually quite good.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This covered shopping street has been around for some time and sadly, some of the shops have closed. Like at home, big shopping areas outside of the city are drawing people away from city centres. Nonetheless, restaurants and small businesses still draw people here. A nice touch is this piano which is available for anyone to use. The accoustics are great and many people stopped to enjoy his playing.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It is nice to see shops like this which have survived the test of time and have continued to offer their specialty.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Sometimes I get the sense that nature is winning here and taking over. Love the ivy covering this historic building.
Heart 1 Comment 0
As we were riding out of Otura, we discovered this street of charming buildings lined with tourist shops.
Heart 0 Comment 0

E

Hokkaido’s dairy farms provide 80% of the milk for all of Japan, and that means great ice cream!
Heart 2 Comment 0
Snoopy is here in Otura and looking pretty dapper. Glassworks and stained glass have been an important part of Otura .
Heart 1 Comment 0
It goes without saying that this seaside town’s fishing industry is important.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Beautiful beaches as we leave Otura.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It feels like the national sport in Japan is fishing. Everywhere we go, we see devoted fishers enjoying their time by the sea.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It feels like we have been climbing since we left Otaru. The views of the sea have made it worthwhile. Liked this detail of seagulls on the fence.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Sea of Japan as far as the eye can see..
Heart 0 Comment 0
This tunnel is good sign that we will soon be heading downhill. After the heat of the climb, the coolness of the tunnel will be welcome.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Now that’s a mouthful. How do you remember how to spell this name?
Heart 1 Comment 0
Sapporo, it is one of those names that has a mystique to it.
Heart 2 Comment 0

After two months of staying in hotels (which has been great), we are yearning for more independence on the road. Japan is known for the  excellence of their camping products, especially the quality of their lightweight tents. We are considering treating ourselves to a Japanese tent…the ultimate souvenir, which would give us the opportunity to camp the last month of our time here, with the occasional stay in a hotel.

Sapporo is a Mecca for great outdoor shops and for us, these are like candy shopsfor adults. We will check out this store and are looking forward to visiting Shugakuso further into Sapporo.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We were sitting in the lounge of our hotel having a welcome cup of coffee and before we knew it, we were surrounded by this gregarious group of deaf people. They are on a tour together and have been travelling around Japan. Watching them converse with dynamic gestures and sign language and enjoying the familiar sounds of the deaf conversing, I shared with their guide how much I was enjoying seeing their joy and how familiar it felt. I shared that my mom had taught the deaf and as children, we often spent time with her students. She shared this with the group and as a group they clapped, cheered and welcomed us into their fold. This took our .pattempts to converse with Japanese people up a notch when you throw in sign language and the rest. We spent some time with them. What a joy. I had forgotten how loud it can be when you are with people who are profoundly deaf.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 45 km (28 miles)
Total: 1,530 km (950 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0